1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Harrison NY Police Chief: Prius crash looks like human error

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by justlurkin, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota, and no other corporation, would ever pull out of the U.S. market. Hell, we ARE the world's market! "This too shall pass" is the mantra running through Toyota exec's heads right now. They will work to disprove any bogus claims and fix any proven problems. And hopefully the media will report it when they do. Maybe Toyota has learned the hard way that emulating the American corporate model is not always the best practice, and go back to putting quality and the customer above pure profit!

2. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I appreciate your point of view Erikon. I would not be pleased if Toyota left.

On the other hand, the Toyota Corporation is for making a profit first and cars second just like all other car companies. In that context, they have done and still do a pretty good job at customer care. I don't expect that to change much. They are taking a HUGE financial hit and they can't print money. That money must come from somewhere. All they can do is cut service, cut quality and raise prices. Oh, you say, they could cut profits. Their investors (stockholders) are not about to permit that. They come first. In a capitalist world, you can't punish a company into lowering prices and INCREASING quality. It just doesn't work that way. If you lower prices, you lower quality. If you increase cost of manufacture, you increase price and or you lower quality.

Yes, it will blow over, but there will be consequences. My point was that they will be so great that Toyota might be better off by pulling out. America is on a crazy binge of blaming Toyota for stuff it didn't cause. There just is no end or cure for that. Toyota can spend billions of more dollars trying to get back in good graces and America will just continue to swear at them. Trust is earned and distrust lingers. But this distrust was not earned in my humble observation. It was manufactured. America just has to get over the idea that they can trash anyone and they will still beg to sell their wares here because as you say "America is THE market". America is a spoiled brat which expects royal deference but doesn't even proof read its news. It says "don't you hint of insulting us" while it slaps its suppliers in the face with false and even fraudulent claims: How Toyota Can Hurt the Media | Ed Wallace | Dallas-Fort Worth Automobiles and Cars | Star-Te...

If Toyota HAD done something wrong, they could be publicly working on it. This will drag out forever just because there is no "smoking gun". There will be conspiracy after conspiracy because people will not take responsibility where responsibility lies. Toyota is just a "Great Big Meanie for demonstrating that a little old lady made a mistake. It can't win. Also see this which DeadPhish posted:
    Commentary: No Easy Answer for the Toyota Problem - Auto Observer

2 people like this.
  3. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's official-- NY Prius crash due to driver error

The Harrison Police Department released its official report today, and the case is officially closed-- The cause is Driver error.

The woman said in her interviews that she stepped on a pedal. The Prius EDR shows that the throttle was full open, and no brake pedal was ever pressed. So the only logical conclusion is that she stepped on the gas by mistake instead of the brakes, causing the crash.

Toyota Driver in New York Crash Didn?t Use Brakes, Police Say - BusinessWeek

4. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good post.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Sincerely,

ZC1

1 person likes this.
  5. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: It's official-- NY Prius crash due to driver error

And a quote from a slightly longer AP article today NY police agree driver error caused Prius crash (AP) , indicating that the police agree with justlurkin's conclusion that it was an honest mistake:

QUOTEThe vehicle accelerator in this case was depressed 100 percent at the time of collision, and there was absolutely no indication of any brake application," Marraccini said.
    "She believes she depressed the brake, but that just simply isn't the case here," he said. There was no intent to deceive, Marraccini said, and Rosel won't be charged.ENDQUOTE

6. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Re: HarrOuson NY Police Chief: Prius crash looks like human error

There are a lot of auto makers that have pulled out over the years, and more than a couple that have chosen not to come here. Peugeot, Renault, Tata, Alfa Romeo (darnit), Yugo, Hyundai (they came back), Fiat... China has well over 1 billion people and India has about a billion. The EU is a larger economy by some measures. Our per capita GDP is no longer numer one and slipping. When you factor in the amount of that GDP in the hands of the top 10%, the other 90% are are way down the list.

There are a lot of other reasons that companies don't come to the US- but the cost of health insurance and our litigious society are high on the list. I talked with some Germans in the wind turbine industry a couple of months ago- and those are the reasons they aren't coming to the US.

Will Toyota leave? Perhaps not and I hope not. Maybe they can buy GM and spin it off. That should help reduce the xenophobia.

PS: I'm no Toyota loyalist. I didn't buy my first Toyota until I was 52 years old.

7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

why would Toyota leave USA? Thats just crazy thinking.

p.s. official report was out today, and police confirmed that driver pressed gas instead of brake pedals.

1 person likes this.
  8. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I didn't say they would leave, but the bleeding from the lawsuits and recalls could cost tens of billions of dollars. And if the American people do to Toyota what they did to Audi in the 80s (sales dropped and didn't recover for 15 years) , they aren't going to sell enough cars to make it very profitable to stay here.

1 person likes this.
  9. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

toyota is largest automobile corporation in the world, and usa is its largest market. it is not going anywhere.

look at toyota stock price now, look at toyota sales even after everything that has happened... it clearly says that americans do not trust their media ;-).

unless you think drop of 8% is "dropping like stone" as fox news put it ;-).

10. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

According to Wikipedia, Toyota sold about 30,000 more vehicles in the US than it did in Japan in 2008. And it sold almost the same number of vehicles in the rest of the world as it did in the US and Japan. They aren't going anywhere quickly (too much investment in US plants) but I wouldn't be surprised to see them working to reduce their 25% reliance on the US market. I would be working on China and India as well as Europe.

11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

UPDATE 1-NY police cite driver error in Toyota Prius case | Reuters

back to the story in question...

2 people like this.
  12. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

spwolf - It is NOT crazy thinking. They would leave because they have more to loose by staying than leaving considering the lawsuits and pending claims. You don't cause a capitalist to do better at anything by starving him of capital. All capitalists will try, but most can be broken. At some point you sell off assets to pay claims/judgements and then you leave.

Hopefully it will not come to that, but some are working hard for just that outcome. Some of those post right here on PC.