1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anybody installed a Gen III gas tank in a Gen II Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by 93dawg, Oct 4, 2014.

1. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

SW WASHINGTON the real Washington (Bought 08/15/14
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2k1 first I have only fueled up 7 times and one time I put 9.84 gallons in it. Another time I went 500 miles exactly and put 9.65 gallons in it. Would you say my tank is expanded?

Second I have read and read but maybe I haven't read enough yet but I have yet to understand how gas can actually get outside of the bladder into the tank area. I thought everything was sealed so that that wasn't possible. I REALLY WISH SOMEBODY COULD HELP ME UNDERSTAND THIS.

John I like your question and wonder the same thing.

If I thought I could buy a used tank from somewhere that has a bladderless tank for a Gen II Prius and have it shipped here and the cost was reasonable I would consider it. I definitely do not like this bladder tank at all. To me it is the worst thing about this car...

I suppose I will get used to the bladder gas tank after some time passes but it really goes against the grain with me.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i haven't heard of fuel getting outside the bladder, but i have read that overfilling can flood and ruin the carbon canister.

3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I got to agree w/ 93dawg. I'd love to trash the stupid bladder. all that space wasted inside the steel tank would mean a longer range and time between fill ups. and while I'm complaining, who's the first idiot that decided to put the pump inside the gas tank? I'd love to beat that jerk down with a tire iron.

4. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know very little but isn't the reason for the carbon canister to take care of fumes and overflows???

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just fumes i think, but i probably know less than you.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe I can explain this.

The fuel is pumped into the bladder which is flexible. As the bladder expands, it occupies more space within the rigid fuel tank shell. The air which surrounds the bladder has to go somewhere. The tank has a vent valve which is connected to a vent line that comes up near the entrance of the fuel filler pipe. The charcoal canister is in the circuit to absorb gasoline vapors.

Perhaps you might be able to visualize that if you overfill the fuel filler pipe, some liquid gasoline may travel down the vent line to the space between the bladder and the tank. This is not just a theoretical possibility, and has been reported on Prius Chat in the past.

7. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your explanation Pat. Wouldn't there have to be some kind of a check valve on that line or it seems like gas would be getting down in there all of the time???

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, you are right. A check valve is present, but apparently it will not always survive repeated overfilling incidents.

9. 93dawg

93dawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay I understand and thank you.