1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has Anyone Changed out the Head Unit on their 2010 Prius II?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by chancejd, Aug 15, 2009.

1. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry for hijacking the thread here, but I just have to ask... If the Eclipse units are made by the same folks as the Toyota units (thanks for that info, btw), is there any chance we could get the NAV updates from Eclipse (for their DVD NAV units, obviously) instead of paying an arm and a leg from Toyota? Better yet, might we be able to use the Eclipse DVD to load firmware into the Toyota NAV that will eliminate that godforsaken lockout when in motion?

2. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Those looking for a dash kit to install a 2-DIN radio, don't ask for the one to fit our cars. Ask for the Venza piece. At least one person has got to try it as they use the exact same NAV head unit that our cars do so the dash opening will be the same and can only imagine that the mounting would be too to save money. I would do it myself but already have the factory NAV unit and can't replace it because of the park assist feature. It should only be about $30 and if it doesn't fit, take it back and get a refund. It would help out a ton of people here who are looking to upgrade right away. Just trying to help.

3. indianagreg

indianagreg Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you'd find out, I'm sure we'd all appreciate it! :)

Crutchfield has the Eclipse AVN726E and shows that this model fits the 2009 Corolla, but not the 2009 Prius (nor the 2010).

Perhaps you'd be kind enough to check with your dealer to see if any 2010 Prius have had Eclipse Nav's installed or what they might be suggesting as a substitute.

I really don't know much of anything about the Eclipse, but it does seem to have the "enter new address" disable when the vehicle is moving.

For those interested, here are the FAQ for the AVN726E from the Eclipse website: ECLIPSE | Fujitsu Ten

Thanks!

Greg

4. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm game - do you have a part number?????? Is this a Toyota piece - or aftermarket?

TIA

5. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just looked at the Venza dash, and its audio opening looks nothing like the Prius....................:confused:

6. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok, my bad. I could have sworn I read somewhere that the Venza used the same unit as we do. I guess they must have just meant that it was the same version of software and not the whole unit. My apologies for the misinformation. Guess I should have checked myself before going as far as posting it. Well, either way it will be out soon then I'm sure. Scosche is an excellent brand for dash kits. Much better quality than Metra or whatever it is. I'll check in with them and see if I can get an ETA.

7. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ok, just went to their website and they already have speaker adapters for the front and rear doors as they work in other cars as well by Toyota. Did their live chat and asked about a dash kit and when it would be available. He said November most likely. That's at least something to look forward to. About 3 months out.

8. pinzvidz

pinzvidz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good question. Next time we have one of the fitted Eclipse units here, I'll try changing out the supplied DVD to a TMC based satnav and see what happens.

Definitely don't know about that one. Check to see if you have an option to change that setting in the behind the scenes menu i.e. hold down info turn lights on and off a few times.

9. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm checking the other way - I found a torrent of the current Eclipse DVD which I'm burning now and will try shortly. Would be nice to know if we have that option, at least.

No setting in the hidden menu, not with the default Toyota DVD, anyway. Eclipse seems to have the speed lockout too, at least that's hinted at by one of the FAQs on their site. Remains to be seen if there is an option to change it when running that DVD (assuming that their DVD even works, of course). I guess I was kind of thinking that having the DVD work would maybe allow the software types to get in there and hack the code... do not know what those guys can do and what they need to do it.

10. indianagreg

indianagreg Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    At Crutchfield the updates are $329.99 :eek: Update Software at Crutchfield.com

Greg

11. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yikes! That's worse than Toyota :eek:

Interestingly enough, the Eclipse DVDs will work. I found a Torrent of the v3.2 Eclipse DVD (current one?) and it did successfully load in the Toyota NAV system. There seemed to be less POI than the Toyota disk though, and in fact less categories of POI. And it still locked out when moving too, although I did not try shutting off the car after loading the disk, playing with secret menus, etc - I'll get to that tomorrow. But for now, at least I know Eclipse DVDs will work. Good data :)

12. pinky

pinky New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was told the headunits (non-Nav) are Alpine... :confused:

Or is that for the 2009?

13. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bonsoir,
    Pioneer Z110 (F10)
    I took some (bad) pictures today.
    They are here .
    This unit is IMO definitely much better than the kenwood:

• radio, Ipod and backup_camera are almost imediately operational when starting the car.
    • ALG (Advanced Lane Guidance) is there.
    • Post Code Search is present (in europe).
    • dead reckoning is present.
    • I like the possibility to arrange my shortcuts.
    The maps are less sexy (see pictures) but the guidance is good.

Installing a NavUnit in a gen3 prius is really tricky because there are no standards kits, but it is much easier than in a gen2 because, at least, there is a lot of room behind the radio to arrange all the loom of cables...

4 people like this.
  14. kawita

kawita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Merci beaucoup. I was set on the Kenwood until I read your review. Will check out the Pioneer.​

15. Azimuth

Azimuth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    frenchie,
    did you happen to notice if there is already an antenna for the nav run to the dash?
    If not, where did you mount the antenna?
    I'm looking at the pioneer AVIC-X710BT for mine.

16. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bonjour Azimuth
    In my car , nothing was there for the antenna.
    Here is a link to see where I installed the GPS_antenna.
    The recommended position is the blue circle, my position is the red circle ( it is under the dash) : I believe there is a better view of the sky because it is more in front...
    Be very carefull when dismounting the dash , just follow the link in my first post in this thread.
    I will prepare some more pictures tonight....
    ps: do not forget the power supply for the radio antenna or you will get a very poor reception...

17. Tonic

Tonic New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where do you guy get that dash trim for your double din gps? i have my new double din in my lancer now but thinking about getting a Prius and want to keep my gps........

i guess i would have to buy new wire in the back of the radio since i bough harness for the lancer?

18. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Per Frenchie "Tecnically, it is not so difficult:
    You need this part 55405-47080 to fill the place of the radio."

(read the whole thread)

The valid question remains - where do you get that part. He made the pieces on each side (like 1/2") because the part has a larger opening than standard double din...

19. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    According to my dealer, I'd need to order this Euro-spec part from a European Toyota dealer. She said she did something like this for another customer who needed an Australian-spec part--wasn't a big deal--but she didn't offer to get the part for me, either!

20. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hello
    Regarding the look of the bezel 55405-47080 , go back to the post #6 in this thread, you have links to 2 good pictures.

I said earlier , I had to adjust the position of the new nav_unit.
    on the following picture:
    I removed the points with yellow circle
    and I used a dremel tool to make bigger the fixing holes (red parts).
    [​IMG]

this picture was made with the OEM radio before changes.

I promised some new pictures, but there is some delay because my cam is out of service.

Be advised that the cost of the bezel is more than 100 us$ in france (around 80 euros)...