1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone changed out the hood on a Prius Gen 1 ??

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Sandy Meyers, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi Aaron, well if you’re ever at the yard and you see a white one, please grab it for me and contact me at [email protected]. I’ll pay up to $50 for a good condition that needs no painting.
    I’ve got just over 96K now.

2. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The other thought I had is removing it and having a friend of mine take it to Mexico on his next trip. He’s taken several vehicles to “a guy” for painting. It would easily fit in his passenger car I’m certain. What are they going to charge?? How much could it possible be for them to completely repaint the hood? Is it worth it, you think?

I’ve told friends I’d just get a can of white spray paint and DIY it and laughed. I think some took me seriously because they know I do a lot of DIY stuff..

3. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Go to one of the custom paint shops that serve the auto body shops. They'll mix you up the exact paint code and put it in a spray can. I've had better luck (being lazy) getting the paint with gloss mixed in rather than two separate cans. White is the easiest color to make look good.

Sandy Meyers likes this.
  4. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It really needs to be sanded down in several places. I’ve got plenty of drills, the motivation but not the right kits for sanding a hood. I’ll have to check out YouTube for this project versus taking it to Maaco as suggested above.

My friend wanted to take the car to Mexico and leave it a week, but NFW would I do that to my Prius.