1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone changed the battery in their SK fob and it still doesn't work?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeffrimerman, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I tried a few used batteries I had laying around, so then I ordered the exact battery that was in the fob, Panasonic 2032 and it still doesn't work. The car has always sensed my hand at door and I still don't need to put the key in the slot. I can just push start, but the lock and unlock buttons don't respond. Just wondering if they are really picky and I need to try another battery like Duracell or something? I've read that the red light should come on when the buttons are pressed, and they don't with the new battery so the new battery is probably too weak.

2. gmcneil05

gmcneil05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Your buttons just must be bad if the smart key part still works.

3. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I try the same battery in my spare key and see. Hopefully the fob isn't bad.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that there may be something wrong with the fob buttons, if the car will recognize the fob approaching.

5. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I tried the same new battery in both fobs. Unless it's a super coincidence that the buttons on both simultaneously stopped working. It must be something to do with the new batteries being to weak. So far only the original battery has been able to make the red light blink once in a while.

6. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The fob won't work if the sks button under the dash is turned off

7. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yeah, I messed with that button too. I pressed it and the fob wouldn't work at all, then depressed it and the smart key started working again. Buttons on fob still won't work. I'll buy a battery at walgreens and try that.

8. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As far as I can tell the car has always and still continues to recognize the fob approaching. I'm sure if the buttons were broken, then whatever sends out a signal to the car could continue to operate. I don't think the buttons control that part of it, but I'm just guessing. I think the buttons only operate the keyless entry circuit since the smark key operates just fine.

9. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ah, missed the car starts with the button, not an sks issue, and it's an '05, how's the 12v?

10. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I did the self check it was good, but that was a few months ago. Could that cause the car's keyless entry to not function at all, even when sitting in the car?

11. diggity

diggity New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope you find a solution. I'm having the exact same problem. Original battery on the FOB went dead - I replaced it with a new 2032 battery and it still doesn't work.

12. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm glad I'm not alone. I wonder if when I let both fobs go completely dead that somehow the frequency of the keyless entry needs to be re-married. I'll look up the instructions for the no sk fob and see if that helps.

13. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok I just figured it out. I pretty much gave up then wanted to try to open up the fob. I wondered why the red button seemed stuck so I felt around the edge with a small sharp knife. Then the red button started moving and all buttons worked fine. Funky how both of the remotes have the exact same stuck red button.