1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone compiled a list of must-know info...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by allidavie, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Mary Snyder

Mary Snyder New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Jan 31 2006, 11:03 PM) [snapback]201571[/snapback]</div>

What does "B" stand for?

2. cgraham

cgraham Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Masnyd @ Aug 21 2006, 05:43 PM) [snapback]307121[/snapback]</div>
    Engine Breaking Mode. Used for long steep descents. when generator drag is insufficient to control speed and you don't want to overheat and wear the mechanical brakes. It is the Prius equivalent of changing to a lower gear to control speed on a descent. It allows the engine to be rotated by the drive mechanism, so causing drag.

C

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cgraham @ Aug 21 2006, 06:56 PM) [snapback]307138[/snapback]</div>
    Eeeek!

How about "Braking" instead?

4. cgraham

cgraham Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Aug 21 2006, 05:59 PM) [snapback]307141[/snapback]</div>

If you need to be told what B mode is , you must still be breaking your vehicle in! :D

But I appreciate the correction. If I go back and edit my post, it's going to make your remark pretty silly, so I won't. :)

5. nyconrad

nyconrad Cconrad in Virginia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As a new owner (2 weeks) I want to thank you for your post of all this very useful info.

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Masnyd @ Aug 21 2006, 04:43 PM) [snapback]307121[/snapback]</div>
    If your salesperson did NOT tell you this on delivery of your car, I do believe there are many people from your area who would like to know the name of the dealership for which s/he works so they can avoid them. I can accept a salesperson not knowing about the "hidden" drawer under the console...but not to explain the "gears?" That strikes me as a glaring omission, and a good reason to shop elsewhere.

7. irism

irism New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if this still applies to later models, but anyone buying a 2004 should know to ALWAYS close the gas cap at least one click after fueling, or risk a warning light and a $250 bill for a fruitless diagnostic search for the problem.

Tamaruni likes this.
  8. irism

irism New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: What is B mode?
    I use B mode quite a lot. Coming up to traffic signals, in traffic that's slowing down, approaching off ramps. Not necessarily for very long, and I get out of it by about 18 MPH slow to avoid too much drag (except when I forget..worst thing about using it, important to pay attention). My 2004 still has good original brakes at 180,000 miles and about 49 MPG, with high highway miles at relatively high speeds.
    How bad is it to forget to accelerate and run a mile in B mode when it 's not needed?

9. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey irism,

It won't hurt anything, you're able to accelerate and drive in B mode as part of the design of the car. Very cool your car is still going strong near 200k miles.

Just fyi, no need to use B mode if you're slowing gently. If you apply the brake ever so gently while in drive, you'll be using purely regenerative braking (if you brake harder, you'll get a mix of regen and friction, and very hard basically all friction). You're actually regenerating less energy using B mode the way you do versus using normal regen braking.

I have used it on icey roads, though, it's a great way to slow down while avoiding skidding. It's intended purpose, of course, is long mountainous downhills.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This may be fun but it wastes gas. Stop doing it and your MPGs will go up.

Sassylady likes this.
  11. bcphotography

bcphotography New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    First off congrats on your purchase. You should purchase the Toyota Prius Repair and Maintenance Manual, found on Amazon. This book will guide you through every repair you may need and will save you thousands of dollars from taking your car to the dealership. It shows you how to do everything on your Prius from changing the oil to working on the electronic system. This book already saved me a ton of money replacing the 12V battery.

Secondly, buy yourself a pair of electrical gloves. These gloves are required by the manufacture when working on the high voltage hybrid system or any other electronics on the car with high voltage. They are worth the investment and could save your life.

Other than that enjoy your Prius, I know I sure do. :)

12. As6IsNow9

As6IsNow9 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Howdy To All!!! Probably posting this wrong but here goes.I did the diagnosis check on '09 Prius(the flash your headlights three times serect hand shake). Have just purchased the '09. And one of the upper front door speakers was dead so get the dealer to replace it. But according to the diagnosis check 1 I ran shows the audio and everything on that screen is ok. But run SYSTEM CHECK MODE the audio needs to be checked. Also the LAN Monitor shows the audio at NoErr. The audio in the car sounds okay but I would rather have the problem fixed than let it go on longer than need be. Hope this makes sense. Thanks to anyone who can help us with this if it needing fixing. Thanks again

13. fmoyer

fmoyer New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is probably a really dumb question. But I can't find it answered anywhere. OK, I'm stopped; I'm still in Drive, but I have stopped by applying the brake, and the brake is still down. Can I now simply press the Power button to turn it off, or do I need to press the Park button first? Can anything be damaged by stopping the car while in gear and then immediately powering down without first putting it in Park? Thanks

Tamaruni likes this.
  14. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are no "dumb questions", only dumb answers.

It won't hurt it or do any damage if you simply powered down while at a full stop while holding the brake "without" first pressing the P button.

Try it and when you do look at the P button while you push the power button. You will see the LED light up momentarily on the P button before the Prius power's down. Also, if you were to watch the gear indicator on the combination meter, you would see it change from D to P when you powered down. The system automatically engages the parking pawl if the system is powered down and the Prius is not moving. FWIW, the pawl can engage at very low speed (like 2 or 3 MPH), but say you were going 20 MPH and pushed the P button the transaxle will shift to N. Toyota put a lot of thought into the design of the car.

Hope all this helps you and that the answer was not a "dumb" one.

Finally "Welcome to Prius Chat"!

Tamaruni and usnavystgc like this.
  15. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

>> There are no transmission or power steering fluids.

Wait...what?

I know this post is very dated, but I did just change the ATF in my 2008 Prius so I know there's tranny fluid. And it's recommended here on PC to change more frequently than Toyota says - which I think is never.

Just wanted to put this out there for others who are new to Prius and may have stumbled on this thread like I did.

DLC82SV and Tamaruni like this.
  16. Tamaruni

Tamaruni New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This was such a great thread, and always relevant, as long as new Prius owners want to learn. Why did it fade away? ‍♀️

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  18. WillieBoy

WillieBoy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After reading all this I'm thinking I'll stay with my 81 Rabbit diesel. 46 to 52mpg, I know the fuel guage is accurate and it just keeps on running. All the electronic problems listed have me re-thinking getting a newer vehicle, at least one of these.

19. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you're looking at a list of possible problems on any car the list is always going to be long. List for 81 Rabbit (Golf) diesel would surely much longer (if you could even find one that's not rusted away).

20. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is a 14 year old thread about a car that has not been made for 10 years. Aside from spreading misinformation, I can't image why there are new posts.

A 19 year old car of any make is going to be an unsafe vehicle with horrible emissions.

(No rabbits are crashed into in the first 1:15)