1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone done their taxes?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by teamHoffman, Feb 15, 2018.

1. teamHoffman

teamHoffman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I finished my taxes, but according to Turbo Tax I can't file them because the Federal Tax credit form hasn't been finalized yet. Is anyone else running into that problem?

2. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, anyone wanting to file using forms 8936 or 8911 (among others) have to wait until the IRS releases them. So far it's Feb 23rd.

8936 is for the $4.502 Qualified Plug-In Credit
    8911 is the recently revived credit for home charger costs. 30% of the first $1,000 spent.

Several threads on all of this here in the forums.

teamHoffman and Since2002 like this.
  3. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Same here. I found using HR Block for the last 8 years, the updates (Fed and State) keep coming until April.

I also do mine ASAP then save a PDF for filing, then I do a recalc in April. Sometimes I find a difference, then I chose what ever benefits me. Usually the latest one.

4. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Odd the IRS was not ready for tax season. Is there something wrong with the powers of government?

(Trains do not seem to run on time anymore.)

#4 huskers, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    pilotgrrl, HPrimeAdvanced and DavidA like this.
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Filed mine yesterday, though had to enter several 1099s manually, from several firms in the online-import system that were not yet ready to import directly into tax prep products.

But I didn't get a Prime yet, so don't need that particular form.

Are you expecting Irish rebels to bomb some government offices? :)

The IRS nearly always has some forms not ready when filing starts, and trickles them in weeks later when updated or finalized. Not needing any of those this time, this is the earliest I have been able to file this century.

And don't blame just the IRS for being slow. Congress was jerking them around right up until late December. For those of us who start our forms in mid-December, as part of year-end tax planning, this does make things tougher.

6. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Many forms are not yet available for direct download. It annoys me because everybody says "file early!" (to avoid thieves) but these 1099s are our rate limiting step. I wouldnt enter forms manually as that defeats the purpose of automated taxes. For me at least.

HPrimeAdvanced and Since2002 like this.
  7. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Many people need to file early for Pell Grants and farmers need to file by March 15th. So we have to make deadlines...why can't the government meet theirs?

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Says who?

I've been in a farm family for half a century now, and am quite unaware of this. Dad is still farming -- well, with the disabilities of age, we kids are now doing it for him -- and his forms are almost never filed before the second week of April.
    ===================

Could this be what you meant?

IRS Reminds Farmers, Fishermen about March 1 Tax Deadline

This is merely a special deal for certain farmers and fisherman to skip the quarterly estimated tax payments everyone else is responsible for. Those who do make quarterly estimated tax payments -- as my parents did (and remaining parent still does) -- have the same tax filing deadlines as everyone else.

#8 fuzzy1, Feb 15, 2018
    HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  9. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Nope, for Iowa farms who run the farm thru corporations. We have always had a Mar 15th deadline.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So you are talking about corporate taxes, not the individual personal income taxes that are the topic of this thread.

"If the S corporation is unable to file by March 15, it can obtain an automatic six-month extension of time to file by filing IRS Form 7004. The shareholders who pay tax on the corporate income are subject to the same deadlines the IRS imposes on individual taxpayers, which in most cases is April 15 every year."
    S-Corp Federal Tax Filing Dates - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos

"2017 Tax Return Due Dates for Business Types
    Sole Proprietorship and Single-member LLC returns on Schedule C: April 17, 2018

Partnership returns on Form 1065 with Schedule K-1s: March 15, 2018

Multiple-member LLC returns on Form 1065 with Schedule K-1 is: March 15, 2018

S corporation returns on Form 1120 S: March 15, 2018

C corporation returns on Form 1120: for December 31 year-end corporations, the deadline is April 17, 2018. Corporations must file by the 15th day of the 4th month after the end of its tax year."
    Tax Return Due Dates for 2017 Business Taxes

Nothing here is specific to farms, just corporations vs. individuals.

#10 fuzzy1, Feb 15, 2018
  11. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :ROFLMAO:

12. Yankee3

Yankee3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I initially wanted to use turbotax freedom but when I got to form 8936 they said I would have to upgrade to the deluxe version so instead I filed with olt.com without a problem on 1/31/18. Refund was in my bank yesterday for deposit next wednesday.

HPrimeAdvanced and benagi like this.
  13. Jessecee

Jessecee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Filed with Credit Karma Tax and aready got my refund. Will compare the new form when it’s out with the 2017 one to see if there is any major changes and go from there. (y)

14. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I use TaxAct Freelancer edition and it's telling me I can't file electronically: "This return does not qualify for e-filing. TaxAct does not support Form 8834 - Qualified Electric Vehicle Credit. You will need to file a paper return with the IRS." I do not want to file a paper return - dang it. After an hour on hold with TaxAct the person who answered didn't seem to know why they didn't support it. I'm on hold for another person now.

15. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Form 8834 is for two and three wheeled electric vehicles and 4-wheel low speed. Form 8936 is the correct form for PHEV. TaxAct should select the right form based on the vehicle information that you entered, so you may want to double check your entries. If that's not it, then you are already following the golden rule of phone support which is to keep calling until you reach someone who knows what they are talking about (roughly one in three depending on the company, some are more like one in ten)

pilotgrrl and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  16. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    TaxAct seems ill prepared for this credit. I gave up after another 40 minutes on hold. They don't have the form electronically - just a box to enter your calculated credit from the IRS forms. Their web sites show they support form 8834, but they do not (or 8836 for that matter). TaxAct 2017 Freelancer - File State & Federal Self-Employment Taxes Online. Therefore, I'm ditching a lot of work I've already done and moving to TurboTax so I can file electronically. I hadn't paid for TaxAct yet anyway - I was one click away.

pilotgrrl and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  17. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There is definitely an oppressive "Orange Cloud" over Washington D.C. these days!! Nothing going right (or is too Far Right!) these days!!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

pilotgrrl likes this.
  18. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Surely you jest, Shirley!!?? Look who's in charge!!! Now processing my offshore accounts, on the other hand, is no problem!!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.
    AChoiredTaste.com

pilotgrrl likes this.
  19. Wuzki

Wuzki Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It’s a waiting mission.........

20. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Isn't it unpatriotic to file your taxes this soon?:)