1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone ever learned anything from a defensive driving course?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, May 8, 2006.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    But, isn't driving a Prius a course in defensive driving? :lol:

Not only do Prius drivers tend to slow down and enjoy the drive, we have also protected ourselves against high gas prices.

I think we all deserve an A+.

“Good fer youuuu†^_^

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i've never taken a defensive driving course... it sounds painfully boring really.

what i would LOVE to do is take one of the performance driving classes :)

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 8 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]251539[/snapback]</div>
    I too have endured more than my fair share of excruciatingly boring classes, and had gone the route of staring at spots on the floor, etc. That pretty much described my schooling experience through sophomore year in college.

During the summers I was a lifeguard/pool manager. What I learned that sophomore summer helped me make it through the next two years.

I had two exceptionally bright female lifeguards that summer. They had both aced their SATs. Both were about to start their sophomore year . . . one at Harvard, the other at Stanford. The Stanford gal is now an MD. (not that all MDs are the smartest people in the world. :p )

I asked them both what their secrets were is to surviving school.

The Harvard gal said, “When I do a paper, I do a bunch of broad research first, then I formulate the subject of the paper depending on what area of research was most fruitful. Why kill yourself doing it the other way around? When I write a paper on an assigned subject or book, I always write about a minor detail or person. If you write about a minor character, rather than a main character, most professors' grad-student graders aren't going to do extra research in order to grade your paper, instead, they just give you a very high grade.â€

The Stanford gal said, “When I am in class and bored to tears with the subject, I critique the teacher's performance. I think about the material and how I would present it to the class so they aren't bored to tears. I tend to learn more about the subject, even though I thought I already knew everything.â€

After that, I became a smarter student . . . not necessarily smarter . . . just better at jumping through the student hoops. :lol:

4. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 9 2006, 06:00 PM) [snapback]252388[/snapback]</div>
    It's amazing how many drivers learn how their car handles in an emergency... in an emergency. For 5 years I was part owner of a high performance driving school named Chin Motorsports. I can promise that a day at the track will substantially improve your driving skills and will be a great experience. Check Chin's website www.chinmotorsports.com for the details. I know they run at VIR and many other tracks throughout eastern US.

Brian (10k+ track miles)

5. psellers

psellers New Member

I took the weekend-long Skip Barber/Bob Bondurant class at Sears Point (in the SF Bay Area) and it was the best driving education I've ever had. They have a "skid car" that enables the instructor to make the car lose traction on any wheel and you learn the feel of how to correct it. Then you practice your new skills by driving around the oval track as fast as you can, trying not to lose control. You also do a "toll booth" exercise where you drive at about 35 MPG up to a 3 lane toll booth and at the last second, two of the toll booth lights turn red and one stays green and you have to swerve into the correct lane. Alternatively, they all turn red and you have to stop. Of course there's an obstacle course. And in the end you drive as fast as you can on the real Sears Point race track. And a lot of other stuff. But the best part was that they really encourage you to go out on the edge and test your limits so that if a situation happens in real life, you have an instinctive reflex that comes from experience. I think the class is expensive (my dad paid for it when I was a teenager) but well well worth it.

6. Florida Prius

Florida Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here's what I learned after receiving a speeding ticket (NOT driving SAGE):

1) Take the course and the fine goes down.
    2) Take the course and there's no points added to your record (can only do that once in FL I hear).
    3) Take the course and send a copy in to your insurance company who will drop (yes, DROP) your rates enough that for me it's 18 months and the ticket is paid for....

Wish I was driving SAGE. The Sergeant might have liked her voice as well!

7. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My orginal Drivers Ed course in 1965 emphasized Defensive Driving. I think it was good to emphasize keeping other drivers/pedestrians in mind, rather than being 'self' centered, in addition to learning the 'rules of the road'.

When my older son was learning to drive in the mid-eighties, he was practice-driving with me on a drizzly day. I told him to switch the headlights on and he replied, "Why? I can see just fine!". I explained it was so other people could see HIM better - one of the things I learned back in 1965. It hadn't even occurred to him. Teenagers are still children and more "self" centered than "other" centered. So it doesn't hurt to teach them defensive driving/think about others to avoid damage/accidents.

I haven't had a driving course since then. I wouldn't mind a behind-the-wheel course that included better maneuvering/skid control/etc. But I haven't sought out such a course.

One thing I've learned from experience rather than a course - if someone's tailgating me, and I'm driving as fast as I can legally and for road conditions, DON'T SPEED UP JUST BECAUSE HE'S FLASHING LIGHTS/HONKING. I did this once in a snowstorm on a two lane road just as I was approaching the crest of a hill, and when I got over the crest, a car coming the other way skidded into my lane - I went into a ditch to avoid hitting the car. Fortunately, no damage to my car and other people who stopped were able to push me out of the ditch.

If I lived in a state that gave me an insurance discount or a reduced fine for taking a course, I'd have to assess the cost of NOT taking the course compared to the value of my time. In NJ, most likely I'd decide the potential cost savings were greater than the cost of my time - insurance costs a lot in NJ and traffic offenses give us 'points' that usually require an insurance surcharge for three years. Last time I had a ticket, I had a $300 surcharge each year for the 3 years.

8. jared2

jared2 New Member

"I'd have to assess the cost of NOT taking the course compared to the value of my time."

By taking the course, I saved 10% on my liability insurance which works out to about $140.00 a year, or $420.00 over the 3 years the discount applies. (This is Geico insurance and New York State) The course cost $35.00. The time required was 6 hours. This time is worth at least $20.00 per hour to me, so let's say $120.00 for my time. Total is $35.00 plus $120.00 or $155.00 to take the course which saves me $420.00. So I save about $265.00. That is why most people in New York take the course.

Did I learn anything? Only that New York state now charges a surcharge if you get a ticket. Because of that, I only speed if there are cars just ahead of me also speeding.

Did I acquire any driving skills? After 30 years of accident-free driving on all kinds of roads in all conditions, no.

9. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 8 2006, 11:15 AM) [snapback]251485[/snapback]</div>

I took one once - and did find some value. Some things I already did do -
    • look to crosswalk indicators to have advance warning of light changing. (Now in Oxnard, many signals show seconds to red light)
    • Think of accelerating out of danger, not just hitting the brakes.
    • Don't turn your wheels left when waiting to turn left across traffic. That way you are less likely to be pushed into oncoming traffic if hit from behind.
    Probably more to learn, and I would take one again.

On the other hand I once had to attend TRAFFIC SCHOOL because of a ticket. Now that was a waste of time. Instead of teaching safe driving and rules of the road, the class was BORING, and focused on avoiding tickets. A total waste of time, but I wanted to avoid the point on my record.

10. jared2

jared2 New Member

"Now in Oxnard, many signals show seconds to red light"

They have this too in many cities in China. I was there a couple of months ago in Xian, Dunhuang and Changsha and I really liked the 30 second countdown to green. Wish they would do it in New York. Of course, here it would be 15 seconds and they start honking. :)

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The most important concepts I learned in motorcycle school were the 'right of weight' and the possibility of being 'dead right'. Forty years of bicycling have given me all the survival instincts I need. It's obvious to me, whether as a pedestrian, a bicyclist, a motorcyclist, or a driver, that far too many people have no idea how to drive, let alone drive safely. I think everyone should take several courses, starting as a pedestrian, and graduating to four wheeler lessons only after mastering zero, one, two, and three wheels.

Performance driving is another level entirely. And you don't necessarily need a performance vehicle. I learned to steer with the throttle in a pickup on gravel roads, and learned understeer in a fwd civic. I could spend all day at the video arcade just on the racing simulations. I'm sure it's made me a better driver.

12. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That was interesting. Sure, the Prius is no Lotus. But it fared much better than the Kenari or the SmartCar. A pickup or minivan might have been even worse.

14. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jun 1 2006, 03:12 PM) [snapback]264158[/snapback]</div>
    I feel I have mastered zero wheels (walking) pretty well since I was 13 months old. Three wheels were no problem at 2. Two wheels came about 8 years old. Four wheels at 16. But I have yet to master 1 wheel. Are there classes for unicycles? And I don't mean clown school. There are enough of those on this board already. (Thank God for the ignore function - I haven't had to read drivvel all day) :D

15. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Jun 1 2006, 03:34 PM) [snapback]264168[/snapback]</div>
    Keep in mind that was the "Euro" Prius with 16" wheels and the sport suspension....