1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone ever used hybridbatteryexperts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by john12345, Feb 17, 2014.

1. LEWmom68

LEWmom68 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    SCAM ALERT! Hybrid Battery Experts is located in FL and did come to our home in GA to "fix" the hybrid battery. The car died within 20 minutes of driving it the first time after. They told us to uninstall and reinstall the 12V battery. The car did not start at all thereafter. After taking it to Toyota and having a diagnostic run, it was determined that the issue was not the hybrid battery but rather the 12V battery and another part not related to the battery (which is why the red triangle indicator light was coming on). HBE did not do a diagnostic on the car. We spent $850 on work that was not the issue. I will be reporting to the BBB and pursuing a refund.

2. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hopefully you won't have a problem but...

If you asked them to come to your home and replace the hybrid battery it sounds like they did what you asked.
    They replaced the hybrid battery.
    If the hybrid battery is not working, that may help your case, though.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and thank you for the warning! what was the other part from the dealer, and how much did they charge you? how many miles on your car?

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It does suck that they did not run a diagnostic on the car first.
    Did they drive the car after they did the work?

5. AAA

AAA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My battery went out and it is installed by the hybridbatteryexperts (they were "carworx") in Orlando. Juan the owner, Hector(?) handyman. Shop staff "fluent in Spanish"

Searched for replacement and come to this thread.
    My experience:
    It was November 2013, so the pack lasted >3 years
    it is NOW $999 with 6 month warranty. Highly doubt feasibility of a longer warranty from THEM
    They offer mobile installments and I see have pretty wide range of service with that.
    As I understand, they hire independent handymen to do the installations.
    Mine was done at THEIR location. So, there is a storefront. It is a huge garage. They have after accident Prii there. They also
    Mixed impressions, but would repeat.
    I needed replacement, like yesterday. Am far from them, but they did offer installation within a day or two.
    Drove up to them, got break on the price for that. Juan enthusiastic on his craft and willing to talk about unrelated issues. DRIVES Priuses, buys and sells them. (Paint job is godawful, and he omitted to mention body work of the one I test driven. He may actually THINK they are doing good job on body work)
    He treats specifics of their trade like a Nationally Significant Trade Secret. However, lets you watch every detail of installation, will sit with you and test any (and every?) cell in the battery with their rather large computer, not actually testing each cell separately.
    He did openly disclose, that they indeed use packs from broken Priuses. Therefore, these are rebuilt battery packs. HOW exactly they re-furbish them - not known. But it is highly probable they just swap bad cells.

To summarize: they are in business at least 3 years (claimed more), somewhat friendly, open to negotiation, pretty quick with appointments, MOBILE, warranty not useless, but do not expect too much. They are definitely not a scam; but nearby devoted Prius guru in Melbourne with ~2-3 hundred more wouldn't spit in this direction. If I have time and Prius drive-able - never. When in a jam (time or money) - I'd go with it, especially using CC just in case of "troubles with warranty". >6 mth pointless

P.S. He did mention something about using different battery packs with longer warranties. He did not really "push it", but there is a chance they actually do more, than I know of.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like the typical hybrid battery swap shop. an unfortunate result of thoughtless manufacturers.