1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone ever used rainx?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TC400, Jan 1, 2013.

1. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Do I need to use Rainx after a car wash?

I don't know what they put on the windshield but it's very clear everytime after a car wash. One time, I didn't check the weather and had a car wash to know two days later it was raining hard but I didn't use the wipers at that time: what did they put on it?

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes. But I haven't just tried washing the windshield so I don't have a control.

Seems to do the job but I did find that I needed to wipe well to avoid leaving an excess coating. Maybe I sprayed too much. ;)

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I apply more often in the winter (more rain) and far less often in the summer. I personally only do the front windshield, not any of the side windows or the back hatch. (Did the back Hatch Window once....You don't necessarily want Rain-X to drip down on your paint). The benefits of Rain-X on a vertical window like the back hatch window on a (Honda Fit) in this case, seemed marginal almost non-existent. It can drip down on the paint, which is not good.

Doing only the front windshield, and more aggressively during the winter one 16 ounce spray bottle has lasted me over a year. I've still probably got enough to get me through this winter, might need another bottle this spring.

So for me? One 16 ounce bottle lasts about a year and 1/2.

Not to be a Rain-X salesman, but I like the benefits during the Winter, it does keep the windshield more visible in in-climate conditions, often wind speed alone keeps the windshield clear. The Pacific NW has many drizzle days, that leave you in a limbo of too dry to use the windshield wiper, too wet to ignore...Rain-X handles those situations.

During the Summer, less rain means it lasts longer, and I think keeping the front windshield treated keeps it cleaner longer. With a Rain-X treated front windshield usually just a light spritz of water keeps it clean.

(End of Sales Pitch)

As far as how much to use? With the spray bottle, I just have gotten a feel, basically I just lightly mist the entire front windshield....it doesn't take much. You can see the coverage, I swirl it to a haze over the entire glass. I give it a minute to "dry" then I take a drop of water, and wipe again to get it to clear.

I would admit on first application even with the most careful application it tends to leave some swirl marks. But IMO they fade rapidly. If you follow application with a light spritz of water you can get the windshield pretty clear. As far as I can tell it's pretty hard to over apply....but over application is really unnecessary, less seems to do more.

KrebsCycle, JLee81 and ftl like this.
  4. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL! You know? I've always wanted to try the washer fluid, and I don't have a good excuse as to why I haven't. The only problem being every time I take my vehicle in for a Oil Change and service "they" top off the windshield fluid. So I never run out of the regular 'blue stuff".

I never have wanted to run the windshield spray motor long enough to drain out the seemingly huge reservoir of windshield fluid the Honda Fit employs.

It's good to hear however that somebody likes the Rain-X washer fluids. I obviously like Rain-X, but the bi-weekly applications are the biggest drawback.

You've talked me into giving the fluid a try.....I just have to figure out the best way to get the watered down blue stuff out of the fluid reservoir.

5. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I put Rain X on mine (first time I've used it in my life) when I got the car in mid August and only now am thinking it's time for a reapplication, though that said on Christmas Day my mother got to experience the Rain X effect and was quite impressed to watch it, but we were driving at higher speeds then. Our wet season is the summer season (ie. now) but it's been relatively dry since I got the car. I really don't use the wipers much at all now so it seems odd to suggest it would make them wear faster.

With regards to the haze residue, I just gave it another buff the following day and that dealt with it.

6. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    How much you get out of a container would depend on how much window square footage you have, how much waste you have, and the type of rain-x applicator.

The misting bottle works great. There are a couple of types of wipe-on applicators, the spout, and the washer fluid. I don't care so much about waste, myself. I use what I use to get the job done in good time and with good results. I am more results oriented than process oriented. Whatever way you do it, it works best when starting with CLEAN glass.

For me, I pour the rain-x on a folded washcloth or microfiber cloth. I apply up and down the glass. Then I go back and forth over the glass. Then I proceed around the car. By the time I get back around to the beginning it's time to remove it. I remove the rain-x with a wet cloth, working my way around the car. The final part is to dry and buff any remaining rain-x from the glass with a dry and clean cloth. The entire process can be done in as little as five minutes.

Re-apply as required. Using your wipers more often will require reapplication more often. Though rain-x is awesome stuff, the rain will only blow away above 25mph or so. Rain in the city and there will be little effect. Rain on the highway is where it really shines. In my trucks, with good tires and in pouring rain, I could maintain 55-60 mph while people were pulling over to the side of the highway, and I didn't even have my wipers on. I love this stuff.

ftl likes this.
  7. photogrl13

photogrl13 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I Rain-X'ed my windows as soon as I got the car. I can't stand dirty windows. I use Rain-X windshield washer fluid as well.

8. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I actually bought some Rain-X windshield wiper fluid and a siphon to siphon out the old stuff. (Don't worry I carefully saved it so I can use it as a window cleaner). And...you never know when you might need a siphon.

I filled my reservoir with Rain-X fluid. I'm curious to see how much that seems to extend the life of a Rain-X treatment.

I'm honestly skeptical of claims of such long lasting results. I like Rain-X and use it...and admittedly I live in an environment that has a lot of rain, and even with Rain-X results in a lot of windshield wiper useage. But to me? During the worst of winter, I really need to re-apply every two weeks. Even in the summer, when it isn't raining and I'm NOT using the wipers...I still find I have to re-apply about once a month.

But I'm looking forward to seeing if the fluid and using the fluid can help me extend the time between re-application.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I apply Rain-X on the outside of the windshield and their defogger on the inside of the windshield. Their washer goes into the tank. It doesn't last as long as I would like (forever) but the bottle will last a long time. I don't keep track of the usage so I can't say how often it needs to be applied. Obviously the wetter your climate the more often it needs to be applied.

pichner likes this.
  10. pichner

pichner Metallic Maniac #001

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do all of the above as well and it has worked great for me!

11. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Update:

Okay, have had the Rain-X fluid in for a couple weeks now. Simultaneously did a regular Rain-X treatment and filled the siphoned empty windshield fluid reservoir with Rain-X windshield fluid a few weeks back.

Admittedly I'm parked uncovered and outside, so my windshield is constantly exposed to the elements even when I'm not driving. Also my Pacific NW environment means a lot or rain and usage in any case.

Slightly disappointed.

I don't see a great extension of the original Rain-X treatment. The affects seem to be deteriorating at about the same rate. With usage of the windshield fluid? It seems to make the "crappy" almost deteriorated level of performance hang on a little longer. But for any REAL higher end Rain-X benefit...I still need to re-apply about every 3 weeks.

Which is still fine. That's what I've been doing for years. But there is no way I've witnessed an extension of benefits into the "Months" or even "Years" ratio.

I still might use Rain-X windshield fluid in any case. I've got a whole supply to use now. And it seems to be of good quality, and I might be getting a level of slight benefit. But I have to admit, I don't see a great extension of durability or lastingness of the original treatment.

I'm still a fan of Rain-X.....but I'd say rain-x windshield fluid or not, especially if you are parked outside and in an environment that has a lot of rain? It's a 2-4 week cycle of application.

12. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Rain-X was not made by elves, and it doesn't last forever. It is what it is, and it's still better than anything else I've found. It works best at 25mph and above, but that's something we keep trying NOT to do in the C. And, going slow and using your wipers doesn't help longevity either.

TIP: You can "refresh" it by cleaning your windshield with a soft damp cloth. The less you scrub, the longer it lasts. Removing the film of dirt/grease/oils will help it do its work.

13. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How do you know it's NOT made by elves?

I'm quite familiar with Rain-X and I'm a fan. Which you would see if you read the whole thread.

The reason I posted an "Update" is while I have used Rain-X for many years, I hadn't ever used the windshield wiper fluid. Which some people were claiming extended the effectiveness of the the original treatment for up to 3 years!

Well...my experience is quite different. I don't really see a huge extension of durability with the addition of the Rain-X windshield fluid.

However, I wasn't expecting it to suddenly become magical. My experience is depending on time of year and amount of rainfall and wiper usage (Pacific NW for me...lots of rain)....it still is a 2-4 week reapplication cycle.

This hasn't "dampened" my support of using Rain-X....it still is a very good product. Application is quick and easy, IMO and cleaning and applying Rain-X to my windshield...be it every 2 weeks...or once a month in the summer, is simply a good idea.

I was only posting to state that I hadn't noticed the benefits some were claiming.

I'm sure longevity varies from person to person, environment to environment. I have no garage...and in the Northwest slowing down and not using your wipers is simply not something you can very often do.

14. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As with anything, YMMV. Mine beads just fine and continues to bead/blow water off with one initial application and then the use of their washer fluid. It doesn't bead/blow off like a brand new fresh application but it sure suffices to me, far better than no rain-x at all. To each their own of course, if one likes that ultra slick beading found after a new application, applicate away every month. :)

orangePruisC likes this.
  15. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The day after I applied it it rained and it was at night didn't touch the wipers once. It handles frost and snow pretty good too!!! Everyone keeps posting but I'm not sure why its not telling me.

16. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was going to add, works great in a glass bathroom! It makes it really easy to clean up. I keep a squeegee in the shower, when I am finished showering, a couple of swipes, clean shower.!

17. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Thats really cool! I wonder what other uses it has? I don't have the luxury of glass shower doors in my home.

18. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also have a Glass Bowl as the Bathroom sink. RainX just helps keep it looking good! I usually swipe sown the Bath once a month, the spray bottle makes it easy. The fumes from the RainX solvent are a bit thick indoors, that's why I put a window in the room! If you live in a constantly rainy area, it's a great assist. I live in LA, and when it's winter, snicker, it helps quite a bit in those 3 months. The rest of the year the window just seems easier to keep clean!

19. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's cool. Like I said, I didn't go into the "Windshield" fluid changeover and experiment with expectations that it was suddenly going to make Rain-X invincible or something it is not.

And admittedly, I like the "fresher" attributes of Rain-X. Since I park outside anyway, cleaning my windshield every couple of weeks would probably be something I was doing whether it included a Rain-X treatment or not. So it's not a big deal.

Big picture for me? Parking outside, Pacific Northwest Rainfall, my only daily driver....these are all factors that I think are going to put me on the "quicker deterioration" side of the ledger. Rain-X is so easy to apply....that doing so is not a problem.

I mean really? What's my worse case scenario? If I find myself driving in the rain and notice that the water isn't beading off and flying away the way I like? I simply note to myself that next time I get a chance I should re-apply. It's really a no lose scenario and really comes down to whether you like the product and the benefits. I do.

20. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    UPDATE: After using it for a small period of time it works well but causes my wipers to streak.... I've tried cleaning the blades and the windows. I also think it's time for a reapplication I just gotta find the damn bottle.