1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone had their windows tinted

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by cpautler, Aug 12, 2004.

1. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

I rarely notice it getting dimmer but I know exactly what you mean...

Worst case scenario just tilt em up for a sec but I've never had issues.

My brightness is set to the highest and my contrast is middle where it was originally if that makes a difference but yeah. These are sunglasses too btw, at night I have regular plain glasses and turn my gps to "night mode"

2. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

...or meeting the quota is rougher than s/he first thought, or when PMS/MBS comes into play ;)

3. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Very little actually... SInce I live downtown in a larger city and parking is on the street I sometimes have to roll them down to see if a curb is a "red zone" or not, but that's only in places where it's more faded... Majority of the time I don't even need to roll it down.

It's still plenty light to see what's going on... Although as I said, I live in a largr city and there's a decent amount of street lights around. If you live in the middle of nowhere where the only lights are your high beams, a tint that dark MAY NOT be for you...

4. cpautler

cpautler New Member

I got the tinting done!

Thanks Brad,
    I used your guy in Long Beach and the tinting looks great! I'll have to post a picture. Unfortunately my camera isn't working right now so that will have to wait.

5. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Re: I got the tinting done!

Awesome!
    3 Q's:

1) What shade did you pick and where?

2) What did you end up doing in your spare time?
    AND
    3) Did they still remember how to drive an 04 Prius? ;)

Glad you like it!

6. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm also considering getting my rear windows tinted. I've got a silver 04, and the shop was recommending a 20% tint to darken the rear windows, but not make them overly dark.

Can't do front windows here, but I think a bit of tint on the rears would look nice. The shop is recommending a "hybrid tint" (hybrid as in dual-layer plastic/metallic). I'd like to find somewhere that would go with the Huper Optik tint as it's very highly recommended, but I havn't found any Vancouver shops that do it yet.

I was quoted $240 cdn for the rear 5 windows (rear passenger, rear "triangle", rear hatchback), with a lifetime warantee against fading/cracking/bubbling.

Dave

7. cpautler

cpautler New Member

23%

I also went with the second darkest level(I think that's what you said you got) They have the 7% limo tint level and the next one up was the 23%. I figure since it's just a fix-it-ticket if some cop having a bad day gives you a ticket so I could just remove the front windows and then have them reapplied for relatively cheap.

I only had to wait a couple of hours, but I took a little walk to Toys-r-us(I have a 6 month old and got him some stuff). I also went to Office Depot and Costco, but that's about it. Overall it was a good experience.

8. cpautler

cpautler New Member

driving

Sorry, I forgot to mention, they didn't have too much problems driving the prius although they did put the fob in it's slot instead of using the keeless start. That may be only the 2nd time it's been in there!

9. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Re: driving

Yeah, I get the feeling that the slot on people's Prii that own a SE/SS probably ends up feeling violated whenever it goes in there :D