1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone had this gearshift "problem" ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by [email protected], Nov 11, 2010.

1. rcf@eventide.com

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The gear shift in my '05 Prius (100K miles) has suddenly started making a loud but apparently benign mechanical clicking sound when pushed to the left before putting the car in forward or reverse. So far there seems to be no malfunction, just that funny misplaced noise.

Has anyone had this "problem," and was it followed by an explanation, a switch failure, or (hopefully) a disappearance of the noise with no further consequence?

Thanks,
    Richard

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Adding to Patrick's comment, it isn't really a switch failure, as the Prius shifter uses Hall Effect switches which are not mechanical. The clicking is a mechanical failure of the knob mechanism. Regardless, the shifter is replaced as a unit, so it doesn't make any practical difference - I just enjoy the technical details.

Tom

4. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mine was also replaced in my '04 for this clicking sound. I was told a piece of the plastic had warped and was catching. You can likely find more in this forum if you search "clicking gearshift."

PA P

5. GigaTigga

GigaTigga New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine does this, dealer says there is nothing wrong with it. I'm out of warranty now, so I'm just waiting for it to completely stop working before replacing it. From places i've read, some times you'll get lucky and it will stick in a spot that you can continue to use it, just have to hold it in the "park" position while turning the car on/off...Guess we'll find out.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    *Moved to Gen II Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting forum*

7. born2pdl

born2pdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Find a wrecking yard with a fresh 2008~2009, buy the shifter for $20~30, put it in. Inexpensive, easy repair. Look in car-part.com, they won't list shifters, just search for "engine" and call for the shifter price.

8. nickbike

nickbike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  9. born2pdl

born2pdl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice fix. Common sense, not so common. Good job.

10. saracal

saracal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks NickBike,
    With your direction I was abe to complete this "fix" in about an hour. The hardest part was getting the dash off!
    Anyway, I was somewhat disappointed with the engineering/design of this shield, and I am wondering if it is even neccessary? I supose it helps keep dust and grease from moving back and forth, but it seems like a pretty "clean" area.
    Thanks again for sharing your details! I highly recommend users experiencing these "clicking" shifter symptoms to give this fix a try.