1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone had this problem occur during a Prolong Discharge?....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusrecon, Jun 24, 2021.

1. priusrecon

priusrecon Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm doing my third annual Prolong hybrid battery reconditioning, since I started the routine
    around 2017 or 18..... I have a Gen II Prius.

Followed all directions, as usual, to the letter, from a detailed checklist I made
    when I purchased the kit (disconnect 12v, wait times, 4-6 hour overcharging, etc.)

I started out, as always, topping off the battery and balancing with the charger.

Then I discharged to the recommended 1st level of 134 volts. Went well, as per the
    two previous years.

Hooked up and recharged and balanced with the charger again.

Switched over to the discharger again. Set to the 2nd level of 84 volts.

I left to walk my dog in the park, and when I came back 1/2 hour later, found the discharger
    beeping, the green idle light on, and the voltage indicator reading 000 volts, and the current
    indicator reading zeros as well. It usually takes up to a day to lower the voltage.

I turned off, and then on the discharger to see if some simple issue might be present, but the
    problem persists - the volt window reads zero volts and the current window reads zeros as well.

I don't know what to think of this problem, is it a battery issue or the rehab kit?....

I'm hoping for some advice before I have to start ripping the back of the car apart....

Thanks,

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I may have experienced something like that with my discharger. I sent it back for warranty repair. You may want to contact hybrid automotive on this issue, they may know what's going on

srellim234, SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might check if the internal fuse has blown, pretty sure it is 1.5A and if you have trouble finding a replacement, a 2A may be suitable.

As mentioned above, best to inquire with HA first.

srellim234, Raytheeagle and JC91006 like this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now that you've commented, it may have just been a blown fuse when it happened to me. I had 3 different issues with my discharger, one required a fuse replacement. 2 other times I had to send it back for repair

srellim234 likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can you please safely measure the voltage of your battery pack to confirm it's still ok? At this point I know about a half dozen people who own a Prolong automated discharger and not a single one has one that actually works. Hybrid Automotive is fast becoming a pathetic joke. And don't bother shipping it to them for repairs. I've friends who've waited months and still haven't gotten it back. For over a year now they've been telling customers about how they recently moved and they're still catching up. So over these dorks. From now on I'm gonna recommend these folks instead: Maxx Volts Hybrid Automotive Grid Charger Reconditioning Systems

Meg&Bear likes this.
  6. priusrecon

priusrecon Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the steer guys. Turns out it was just the internal fuse in the discharger after all.
    Called HA, and after 2 days and about a half dozen attempts, finally got a return phone call from them. Apparently they are short staffed now and swamped, but once the guy called me back he was very helpful.
    You have to open the casing to access the fuse, but it's straight forward from there, and can use a 2 amp in place of the factory installed 1.5 A. Just make sure you use a fast-blow.
    After that, the reconditioning finished up without a hitch.

As far as measuring the battery voltage, you can either use your multimeter on the batt's buss terminal, or if you have your Prolong wiring harness wired in, check voltage between pins 1 and 4, or you can cheat by simply hooking your charger back up to it and switch it on for a few seconds and read the charging display off of that.

If your charging harness is dead, or your charger reads zero when it worked before, you may have to pull the cover plates off the hybrid battery and check the fuse at the base of the harness where you hooked it up to the battery. It has a slow-blow there.
    If those are all good, you need to start checking out your battery....

Meg&Bear, Sanchan and Raytheeagle like this.