1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone heard of these GasPods?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Hoho, Nov 14, 2017.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No I had not heard of this product until this thread.
    I don't necessarily want to rain on any ones "hope" parade.
    But I'm EXTREMELY, VERY, ALMOST ARROGANTLY skeptical.

Over decades I've watched so many products come and go.

The interesting thing about this marketing concept, is the "science" being sited is real and true. Aerodynamics can affect gas mileage.

Where I start to smell The Oil of The Snake? Is it is never really proven or shown how attaching a series of what looks to be 98 cent tiny pods to your vehicle makes any difference in application of this truth.

And as it has in the past, and again today, my feeling is so much goes into development and science with the creation of any new vehicle, if significant gains could be made by such minor tweaks? I'd think automakers would be building that aerodynamic reality into their own vehicles.

I remember with the launch of the Gen 3 Prius, reading about how much time Toyota spent with the Prius in the wind tunnel trying to create the lowest possible drag.
    Hard for me to believe they would sacrifice fuel efficiency if something as simple as a series of tiny bumps could create the improvement being marketed here.

BUT?
    If anyone wants to give it a try?
    Well...at least it's not some questionable additive that might cause damage to your engine.

Myself? As much as the idea of bumping my MPG up...in my now Un-Hybrid Honda Fit...is enticing? I think I'll pass.

2. JoePeño

JoePeño New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok guys im new to here but not new to these pods things. I have some deswirl duct veins that I have been using for years (ill post pics.) i had them on my 97 civic coupe just to be funny and dumb but I actually noticed a bump in mpg. Ive had my 2012 prius 2 now for 3 months and documented all my fillups on my road trip app, (love it) and i just installed the fins today so ill update in a few weeks with progress.
    7FBB5D6A-BCD7-4A9E-9F61-FCCB4B5893B6.jpeg 3B2238E1-C83C-4C26-9B62-1CC75DF6FFB3.jpeg 3B2EA857-2847-4D87-9D0C-0D66A3D9C02F.jpeg

SFO and RMB like this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to Priuschat !!

krmcg likes this.
  4. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i have vortex generators on my 2016. (see profile picture). I don't believe that they offer any enhancement to MPG - but don't hurt either...

5. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
  6. JoePeño

JoePeño New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So these are Deswirl Veins that I personally removed and collected from an H60 Helicopter that can go above 100mph but usually stays under. I chose these because they are literally designed to smooth and straighten the air flow. They are replaced for very small imperfections because of their location, so i just take them once removed, sandblast and powdercoat them and boom, free mpg. They look rediculous but i collected data for 3mo then put them on, im gonna do 3 months on then take them off, do 3mo off again and see whats up.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what kind of controlled testing have you done, and what data does it provide relative to mpg?

8. JoePeño

JoePeño New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I drive the same way to and from work, some freeway some city here in Alabama. The weather is generally the same 80% of the year. I fill up at the same gas station and at the same pump when i can and its always me by myself. I use the roadtrip app on my phone to record odometer, gallons, price, and average speed. It graphs it all out on its own, i also check my tire pressure (40psi) monthly and use nitrogen. Im an aviation mechanic and work at an airstation, so all this stuff is readily available. I took 3 months to learn how to pulse and glide and get comfortable with driving and monitoring the center screens. I will say this tho, its been just a couple days but every trip summary i see a 2-5 mpg jump and my over all mpg is higer too. Other than that i just drive real world conditions like a normal “prius” driver.

bisco likes this.
  9. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
  10. JoePeño

JoePeño New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    don't tempt me with a good time. my next mod will be lowering springs, rear diffuser and smooth out Under the car with different cover panels. then factory body kit and call it good.

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no 'boat tail'?:cool:

12. JoePeño

JoePeño New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol while i applaud the design, engineering, and dedication, i dont Think i would go that far. I still want my car to be semi normal.

bisco and krmcg like this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Beware that the gas blend won't stay the same all year, at least in most of the country. Summer and winter blends have differing energy content and MPG.

14. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You could try this interesting idea when you finish the gas pod project, dimple your car like a golf ball: