1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has Anyone Installed A Front Parking Camera?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by peterjmc, May 1, 2012.

1. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OEM back-up cameras appear to be pretty inexpensive on eBay. I was thinking about hooking one up to the front bumper and using a switch on the interior to activate it and display on the OEM Navi screen.

I had the radio out this past weekend and it wasn't obvious to me which harness feeds video from back-up camera to the Navi.

Need help figuring out how to wire a front camera to display on OEM Navi when activated by an interior switch, and maintain functionality of back-up camera on OEM Navi.

2. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hope someone has, cause I had accidentally ripped the black plastic bottom pieces loose on mine several months back by pulling up too close to a high curb. Remarkably, the dealership ordered me replacement ones.....for free! So, probably won't be as lucky the next time, if it ever happens again. And, after they finish adding the body kit and coilovers, I'll have to be even more careful than before!

3. blane

blane Carmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I've not been interested in installing a camera, but I installed a "beep, beep" proximity sensor in one of my cars a few years ago. It worked beautifully.

I was checking for something similar recently for my new Prius. I do not want to drill any holes in my bumpers for proximity sensor buttons, the type that is most common.

I found these two sites that seem to use the same technology as each other and do not require drilling holes in the plastic bumpers (or matching the paint). Neither company has a US distributor, but they will ship to the USA.

This company is in Italy Parking sensor backup sensor PROXEL, NO holes on the bumper!. These are their mounting instructions http://www.proxel.com/Mounting_instructions_EPS-DUAL.pdf. Per an email that I received from them, they charge 80 Euro for their EPS-DUAL 2.0 kit, shipping included.

This company is in England No Holes Parking Sensor | Parking Dynamics Reverse Sensor . Their prices (in British pounds) are specified on their website and shipping is extra. I've also noticed that they advertise on eBay.

4. peterjmc

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Good recommendations! Do you have any links to the eBay auctions? Just browsed for some and all I could find were the drill in bumper type in both the US and UK sites.

5. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like the idea of a non drill option for the front but at $129 for the Proxel, a camera might be cost effective and easier to install if you have a Nav screen.

Do a search on ebay for : No Holes Electromagnetic Front Car Parking Sensor

my2cents

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  7. peterjmc

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Good recommendation. MSRP of $249 is more than I'm willing to spend. I was thinking of a solution in the sub $100 range. I don't mind DIYing this together. I just need help with understanding automotive wiring.

8. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know that Shawnb2 has installed a front camera on his Prius. I saw it over the weekend. Not sure how he had it rigged up though.

9. blane

blane Carmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Try this.

parking-sensor-direct | eBay

1 person likes this.
  10. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    No need for it. I have my mother in-law get out and walk to the front of the car when parking in a remote parking lot. When she starts giving me instructions on how I should park, I quickly drive away.

booke02 likes this.
  11. krazypriuslady

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    :cheer2:

12. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ive always wanted this...
    a camera in the front bumper that would turn on when u get close to something..

13. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I never really understood why one would want or need something like this. Now that I have the 2012 I can see the need. And it will only get more urgent after I put on the lowering springs. :eek:

new iPad ?