1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone received a CA Green HOV Sticker yet?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by elmofongo, Mar 2, 2012.

1. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    According to this website: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htme, DMV has issued nearly 9000 green stickers. Now add the Ford C-Max and Fusion Energi models now available, and there will be a lot of us plug-in hybrids cruising solo in the HOV lanes. Add in the white stickers issued to pure electics and CNG vehicles, and it may get a little crowded. Most likely we won't be seeing an extension of the expiration date of January 1, 2015, as we did with the yellow stickers.:( Enjoy it while we can!

2. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Really?
    The original yellow sticker program was capped at 60k. This one is capped at 40k. Are we really going to see over 20k white stickers issued in that time?

3. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think it was actually 75k, with an additional 10k approved later on. But now we have more plug-ins and all electrics coming out, along with the CNG vehicles. My point was that we probably won't get an extension. The "crowded" issue is what the opponents of our solo HOV use argue should keep us out. I think there is something in the law that allows kicking us out if the HOV lanes become overloaded, which would be a bummer.

4. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    you're right. from this press release in April 2011, they say that "more than 10k" white stickers have been issued:
    "Yellow" Hybrid Car Pool Sticker Program Ends July 1
    . so at the time, there were ~95k cars out on the roads.
    now, we have 10k+number of EV/CNG vehicles sold in ~2 years+9k green stickers. at peak, we will have 10k+EV/CNG sales+40k = 50k+EV/CNG sales.
    somehow I don't see us hitting 40k+ EV/CNG sales in that short of a span of time. so i think we should be fine. the yellow stickers got extended by 6 months, and as you pointed out, also had an expansion in the volume. white stickers were extended to 2015 at the same time that yellow stickers got extended, and passed the legislature by a wide margin.
    so, i wouldn't be so pessimistic :)

5. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sometimes the glass is half empty because some SOB drank the rest of it.:(

6. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check sent 12/11
    Check cashed 1/10
    Sticker arrived 1/19

7. delta

delta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lensovet likes this.
  9. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  10. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The article again mentions the $10,000 differential for plug-ins, not pointing out that a base PiP nets 0ut at almost the same as a comparably equipped Prius 3 after the various federal, state, and Toyota rebates.

lensovet likes this.
  11. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yep, you certainly did call it!:) I hope it flies, giving us another couple of years.

12. Sanjath

Sanjath Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Looking at the way DMV person reacted ("9000 in a year is good"), I doubt if they'll extend unless someone lobbies pretty hard. Only auto companies can do that kind of lobbying. With Ford's two new models and upcoming models from Honda (not sure when) and others may actually make some of these guys to lobby hard to get some extension.

I see that the carpool lanes in 101 along peninsula in SF bay area is quite saturated. But, work for adding expressway is almost complete, so dont know if that means there will be two lanes for carpool/expressway or it would just make it as bad as other lanes. I can see some resistance to extend if these lanes get crowded.

All said and done, I dont think they'll decide in next 6+ months.

13. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't drive along 101 but over here on the East Bay. 880 and 80 where I am imprisoned, the car pool lanes are a ghost town. I think even solo drivers would appreciating moving a few cars out of the way so they can make it to the Bay Bridge. I have been honked multiple times in the HOV lane on 80. It's just too scary to go past 40 or 50 mph when a couple feet next to you are cars not moving at all.

I think you're right though, I don't expect a decision until past this summer.

14. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Guys, I know the video is kind of ridiculous, but did you watch it? The original sponsor of the HOV sticker legislation is going to introduce this bill, like, this week. If the person who wrote the original legislation wants to extend it, who exactly needs to be lobbied? Don't forget that we also have a democratic supermajority in the legislature and democrats like to claim that they are pro-environment.
    So, yeah.

15. Sanjath

Sanjath Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hmmm.. I didn't watch the video. I didn't know that legislator wants to introduce it this week. Cool then!! Thats good news.

16. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    helps to "read" the article you're commenting on before…commenting on it

17. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I admit, I have no idea how government works. I do know that it is slow. So if a bill is planned to be introduced next week, that tells me they'll mention it next week. Then they'll take a couple of months to read it before voting on it. When they start to vote on it, they'll get an idea of who will vote for and against. It's usually quid pro quo. So the bill will be delayed or amended to garner extra votes for leverage elsewhere. this will take considerable time as they scheme and plot. Some months later we get the final revision and it passes. Then it sits on the governor's desk while he is on summer holiday. Come September, he finally signs the bill into law.

18. Sanjath

Sanjath Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I "read" the article, but did not see the video. I commented based on what I read. I didn't even notice that it had a video clip. Next time I will probably read 10 times and take some questions and make sure I mastered the article before commenting on it !!.... seriously???

Let's see if and when we get the extension.

19. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    While this can generally be true, it doesn't always have to be like this. We'll see :)

20. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha I actually just watched the video right away and skipped the article entirely