1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone received a CA Green HOV Sticker yet?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by elmofongo, Mar 2, 2012.

1. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I just physically handed over sticker #39,5xx Tuesday morning.

2. greenleaf

greenleaf Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not too many left. But my bet is that the sticker number will go all the way up to #41,xxx.

3. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If you get stickers replaced, they are REPLACED.
    Meaning, they match. There isn't a new # issued when they need replacing due to an accident.
    If you wreck a bumper, you get the same # back. The stickers will go to 39,999.

4. greenleaf

greenleaf Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is not correct. I had to replace stickers before, and a sticker with a new number was given to me.

If you think about it, DMV would not want to go through the trouble to re-make the stickers with the same number. They simply just take a new sticker from stock and send it to you.

icesalmon likes this.
  5. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I was rear ended in my old car and my 2 replacement stickers matched the old #.

6. greenleaf

greenleaf Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh. It seems like my experience is different and it could well depend on the case. Maybe it's because the replacement for my case were for white stickers. Were yours for green stickers?

7. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Dianne, what's the highest number you have, and how many do you have already assigned to cars currently in stock or on the way to you?

8. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This entire thread is related to GREEN Hov stickers.
    Suddenly you have white ones, which are unlimited and completely irrelevent to this thread. GRR!
    There will be stickers to #39,999 because there is a sticker with #00000.

rogerv likes this.
  9. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I am one of the few dealerships who requested the HOV stickers for cars that were still afloat towards me from Japan thru March 17th.
    Consequently, I have about 115 HOV stickers for PlugIns but have 183 PlugIns total. The highest # I have seen was nearly #39,600 and the DMV website's details are clearly behind. Surprised? Ya shouldn't be. It's DMV! The folks assigning stickers do not update the website. Some webmaster does somewhere ... and if you think it's his top priority, I have a great deal for you on some oceanfront property.

I'll have cars with HOV stickers for a while... but in the prespective of someone who sells a great many of these, it';s never enough!!

Dianne

rogerv likes this.
  10. greenleaf

greenleaf Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have green stickers too. But the replacement was for white stickers.

But you side-stepped my question -- was your replacement stickers with the same numbers for green stickers?

I still maintain that we will see stickers with # in the 40,000s.

11. DianneWhitmire

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes. Green stickers. I didn't sidestep anything. I said what needed to be said.
    And, only way we'll see more stickers is if they manage to lobby for more stickers.
    If you give folks false immediate hope that there's a green sticker further out than there really is, it's a terrible thing to do. It's one thing to miss out on a scarf or a game or toy or something relatively affordable and easy to return, but if someone buys a non-stickered car thinking there's a secret stash of extra green HOVs or something, it's not something they can undo.

Post what you want, but I choose to post responsibly. :)

Pasaman likes this.
  12. greenleaf

greenleaf Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Fast forward to 4/21/14 (post #1102) and we finally can see who is not posting responsibly. Your posts regarding the green sticker numbers were misleading with the intention to drive business to your dealership. I bet there is also no truth when you claimed that you received replacement green stickers with the same number since even the application form itself states that a new decal number will be assigned.

13. greenleaf

greenleaf Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have no stake in getting people to delay buying the PiP for the HOV stickers.

When it was announced about two weeks ago that DMV is cutting out dealers from applying for the stickers, I remember there were about 2000+ stickers left. Now if a dealership can hand out a pre-ordered sticker with #39,5xx, wouldn't the sticker number go higher by at least 2000 more?

We only need to wait for a few more weeks to see whether stickers # >40,000 are reported.

zerverize and ckam1989 like this.
  14. grkmalaka

grkmalaka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My coworker picked up his PiP on sunday and of course, he got shafted on the $1500 CA rebate since he has to wait until at least September and it didn't have HOV stickers either. He may or may not make the cut for the stickers. He did get a pretty decent deal on his car but the dealer was totally unforthcoming with all the details and he got suckered into the purchase.

I tried to warn him and steer him towards a dealer that had the HOV stickers already but he didn't listen.

15. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In your shoes, I would have done exactly the same thing and attempted to acquire as many HOV Stickers as possible ahead of time. That's sets you above your competitors.

I do, however, have a problem with this policy, not with individual dealerships doing this, but the policy as a whole. The last post claims there are less than 400 HOV Stickers remaining out there. Yet you personally have 115 on hand. I have to wonder how many other dealerships were as wise as you and got them ahead of time as well. I saw in this weekend's advertisement that Toyota of Orange has something like 56 on hand. I have to wonder how many Green HOV Stickers are at dealerships throughout California on hand.

As of February 28th, there were 33,637 stickers handed out. As of March 28th, there were 38,179 stickers handed out. So about 4542 HOV Stickers handed out in March. During March, approximately the same time period, 1478 Volts were sold, 1452 PiPs sold, 899 Fusion Energi, 610 C-Max Energi, 56 Panamera-E, 81 ELR, 18 Accord PHEV. About 4594 Green Stickered vehicles sold in the US. I can't imagine 98.9% of PHEVs were sold in California and all of them applied for the HOV stickers (sure my numbers will be off slightly due to a time delay in receiving stickers from buying cars, but for the purpose of discussion I thought it was close enough, plus those few that didn't apply for the stickers now applying for them since they're running out).

Hence I believe the HOV Stickers appear to be running out faster than they actually are. I do believe within a few days to a few weeks you won't be able to apply for them through the DMV, but it seems as though dealerships throughout the state have them well stockpiled for a month or two if not longer, and you better bet that prices for PHEVs with Green HOV Stickers will increase substantially during that period.

greenleaf likes this.
  16. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "Now if a dealership can hand out a pre-ordered sticker with #39,5xx, wouldn't the sticker number go higher by at least 2000 more?"

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/has-anyone-received-a-ca-green-hov-sticker-yet.104322/page-48#ixzz2xqInJuIU
    Follow us: @PriusChat on Twitter | PriusChat on Facebook
    Sorry, but I don't understand your logic. The stickers that went out to dealers in the recently ended program came out of the 40K originally planned. Instead of issuing them one by one to new owners, dealers could get stickers to go with the cars they had available to sell. Why would that add 2000?:confused:

17. greenleaf

greenleaf Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Now I remember the day -- it was St. Patrick's day on 3/17.

Here's my logic:

On 3/17, the announcement came that DMV stopped the dealership pre-order program. I also recall DMV updated that there are like 2000+ stickers left. DMV stopped the program because it wants the remaining stickers to go to individual applications.

So on this day, if the last pre-order sticker # issued was 39,5xx, and there are still 2000+ stickers left, the sticker # would go at least 2000 higher.

Dealerships with HOV stickers on hand now have the advantage since they can sell their PiPs with little discount or at MSRP.

18. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Competition should keep those dealers from trying to rape the buyer. But you just never know.....

19. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OK, but that's assuming that the stickers sent to dealers were in consecutive order. For example, someone went to the shelf and pulled all the stickers to go to dealers in numerical order, right out from the supply going out to individuals. Maybe they came off the top instead, or at random. Similarly, the renewal stickers we get for our license plates go out to individual DMV offices and Auto Club offices in random packs. I happened to get one with a all zeros except the last digit from my local AAA office, and there's no way I was among the first to renew for that year. There must be at least a couple of clerks in Sacramento issuing these HOV stickers, and each one probably has at least a day's supply at his/her desk. Like Dianne said, " it's DMV!"
    Edit: Just had another thought: what if the DMV doesn't count the sticker as issued until they get the registration with the buyer's info, even though the dealer has had that sticker for a couple of months, assigned to a particular VIN?

20. greenleaf

greenleaf Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sure it's possible.

DianneWhitmire likes this.