1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone replaced the front seat headrests?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ualdriver, Jun 3, 2008.

1. ualdriver

ualdriver Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi all-

Has anyone replaced the front seat headrests? The car my Prius is replacing had both height adjustable headsets and "rotating" headrests (for lack of a better term) that would rotate forward so that you could sort of adjust them to the shape of the back of your neck. Does anyone know of a good seat of headrests that adjust in more than the "up/down" axis and fit in the Prius bucket seats?

2. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I would also be interested in swapping out the driver's side headrest. I wanted to turn mine around but my physical therapist said absolutely not because it would be a safety issue. Maybe there are some from another car made differently that would fit? Is the size of the seat openings the same as on other cars???

3. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I swapped the seats for volvo seats. The headrests are amazing. Maybe you could pick up 2 at the junkyard and make them fit your seat.

4. angelrob

angelrob New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had to turn mine around, I just couldn't sit like a C and it was either that or not have my back touching the seat while driving :-( I'm tall and no matter where I positioned it up or down, or leaned the seat back, my neck was curved forward. I keep my seat back fairly straight up in general, so having the headrest in line is more comfortable.

I'm interested to know what the safety issue is if the headrest is in line with the seatback versus pushed so far forward (which all the new cars seem to be, I've see this issue posted elsewhere, too) Did they explain or just say it *was* an issue?

Thanks!
    Robbin

1 person likes this.
  5. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I turned mine around, too, but they don't lock in backward so I put it back the way it was; didn't want it to be missile if there was ever an accident.

I'm short and sometimes the headrest hits me wrong. Right now I've raised it. Its more comfortable that way, not sure about safety; will I break my neck in a crash?

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have found the more the seatback is reclined, the farther the headrest goes away from my head, and vice versa.

For me, I know the seatback is about the correct angle when the headrest is very close to back of my head, but not pushing on it.

Sounds like I'm lucky - Gen2 seatback and headrest work well for me. The seat bottom and it's limited travel ... well, that's been a project requiring hundreds of dollars and a bunch of work, but I *think* I'm finished.

7. angelrob

angelrob New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, my problem is the angle of the headrest in comparison to the seat. I like the back support, and I do like to fit rather upright - too many years of being told to sit up straight, I guess :rolleyes:) but if I have my back against the seat (no matter the angle), then the headrest has my chin on my chest.

I still haven't made it to my chiro to have him evaluate it, but I like it. Just have to hope it won't pop out if there ever is a crash :eek:

Robbin