1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone set off the VSC?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DocVijay, Jun 26, 2006.

1. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    All I have read about VSC indicates that it's one of the best safety features around, and it could save more lives than airbags if it were installed on every car. I would not get a car without it, and I'm REALLY glad I spent the extra money to get it on my '04 model. BTW I drove to Northern California (400+ miles) to get mine since SoCal wasn't selling Package #7 in 2004.

2. molgrips

molgrips Member

It came on for me when I was test driving one. I pulled out of a lay-by fast, and hit a manhole cover causing one wheel to spin. The light flashed on, and the sat-nav lady said something like 'mind the road conditions' :) I don't know if I had guidance on at the time or not, but perhaps I did.

I also had to find out how fast the car can stop just the other day... I was on a two lane road coming round a blind right hand bend over the crest of a hill, at about 35-40mph, and there's a tractor coming the other way. Just as I approach the tractor a guy pulls out from behind it quite quickly, and right into my path. It's at times like that you really appreciate safety features! I stopped on a sixpence. (That's the same as stopping on a dime for all you Americans ;) )

I found the pause of the TC a little unnerving at times too, but just get used to the throttle - don't bury it from a standing start, and you'll be fine. Wait till you're moving a little.

3. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the first time late last night and early today. I was in a BIG hurry to get to my GF's house as her 3 cats went missing at the same time. She lives in the wilderness and we suspect the worse. Anyway, in my hurry to get there I felt the VSC come on and noticed the light at the same time. It occurred quite a bit on the winding road. At first I thought I had a problem and then realized what it was.

One cat returned after 24 hours, looking very frightened.