1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone tinted their windows?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by fullylaced1, Jun 15, 2023.

1. Hamid Ali

Hamid Ali New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I did 5% all around and 60% windshield. I am also PPF-ing entire car and doing couple other things to it. So it’s hard to say how much just for the tint as I’m doing it all together. Do ceramic tint if you can.

2. Jeffnorton

Jeffnorton New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Yes, I did ceramic front to back.
    -windshield: 80
    -front windows: 35
    -back windows and trunk: 25

Illinois law is above 35 only, but oh well

Pixel 7a ?

3. Jeffnorton

Jeffnorton New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Sorry, it cost me 699.

Pixel 7a ?

4. Deb Rothschild

Deb Rothschild New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    It looks beautiful! You would think with the Premium Trim level, I would have every bell and whistle (my last Prius Limited came with factory tinted windows that were great), but the rear seats have only a very light tint and of course the glass roof does as well. I have no problem having them done privately but am concerned it might interfere with some of the wiring on the lift gate area, if that’s even possible. I will of course ask the tinter but I can’t completely trust his answer since it may mean the loss of a sale. Would appreciate any feedback!

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I had a tinting "phase", many years back. My current take, probably will get flamed, but here goes:

1. It's a cheap, aftermarket thing.
    2. It is bad for visibility, either people trying to make eye-contact, or you shoulder checking or whatever (picture dark/rainy night lane changes).
    3. Maybe just me, but I'd never buy a vehicle with aftermarket tint. Bad for resale value?
    4. It will deteriorate, is prone to scratching, trickier to clean.

6. lech auto air conditionin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good tint dose not deteriorate. My 2009 Yaris and 2012 Prius C still like new. Many good tinted windows aftermarket 20/30+ years

I have seen cheap tint fade . Peal and bubble.

7. mountaineer

mountaineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    It removes pretty easily.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yes, I always tint my front windshield with the lightest ceramic tint available. Costs a decent amount extra because of the square footage but seriously worth it.

9. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I did the back glass with ceramic tint to match the glass roof. Waiting to do the doors since I did a full front PPF and ceramic paint coating.
    Lots of tint grades that allow driver/passanger viewing. Don't go with cheap applications; buy once-cry once

10. Kevin H Tran

Kevin H Tran New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    75% clear tint on the front windshield, 35% tint on the front two windows, 20% tint on the rear two windows and tailgate. All ceramic tint.

11. Kevin H Tran

Kevin H Tran New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    75% clear tint on the front windshield, 35% tint on the front two windows, 20% tint on the rear two windows and tailgate. All ceramic tint.

12. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    I was going to do the windshield for heat(0 tint) but here in Colorado windshields get damaged so fast it seemed like a waste. Could get a cracked windshield next month or next year but eventually it happens.

13. phase

phase Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Doesn’t the rake of the windshield help deflect rocks better than Previous Priuses ?

14. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Depending on your insurance company, they will cover the cost to retint the windshield if you claim the repair on your Comprehensive coverage.

I have State Farm and they covered the glass replacement plus the cost to retint (over $500 just for the windshield tint).

15. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Perhaps but this is my 1st prius so I don't know

16. kellyj

kellyj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Tinted by dealer at time of purchase.

17. samsprius1

samsprius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    This is first time I'm doing Windshield,80% sounds just about right! It's got to help with UV and heat..and glare from headlights 35% sides! May go darker than 25 on the hatch will see when I get to the tint shop!

18. Beach Dweller

Beach Dweller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
  19. priusdriver223

priusdriver223 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Late to the post, but yes I have just like many others as it's the first thing I did to the car. Ceramic tints all around, 30 windshield, 15 front, 5 for the rest. I live in NYC and paid around 450 for it although I do think you can find one for 350.

20. 1794

1794 New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    The tints made the car look a lot cleaner. Maybe it's the guardian gray and black trim that match really well with the tint. Anyway... despite the enhanced look, I do it primarily for UV protection, and so I don't cheap out on it.

For the Prius
    - Xpel Prime XR Black ceramic 20% all around
    - Llumar Air80 ceramic on fixed glass roof panels

Total came out to ~$750 before taxes at a boutique-y shop that does the most immaculate and reliable work I've experienced. Surprisingly the Prius cost slightly more than my new Tundra (FormulaOne Pinnacle all around + Air80 on pano roof). I'm a huge fan of FormulaOne and Llumar, but tried Xpel this time to try something new. Still debating doing the front windshields with the Air80 too.

For the Tundra, the tints significantly cut down cabin heat in the summer, where it spends most of it's time outdoors. Road trips are also more comfortable without the sun beating the side of your face. Doing the pano roof is also critical IMO, and I only used the lightest film possible to retain light transmission.

Fair say, it's not just for the "looks"...

21. Djyoshi626

Djyoshi626 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    What is this that you're talking about? Is it a spray or some type of film/tint? I got my tints done with Huper Optik and it cost $800 for all windows minus the fixed glass roof. The tinter advised me not to get it on the fixed glass due to the dot matrix and how the cut off would be pretty noticeable and that it'll eventually start peeling so I took his advice to not do it.

Ideally, I would have wanted to have it tinted as well since I like to keep the shade open but would rather not get more sun damage. There is another thread that stated the glass should have UV protective qualities but the tint makes me feel better...

40% windshield
    20% the rest of the car