1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone tried or experienced the Pre-Collision System?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Jimbo69ny, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I was just wondering how well it worked.

In case you arent aware, the Advanced model comes with a Pre-Collision System that will slow the vehicle down and tighten the seatbelts (I think they call it precharging?) if a collision is imminent.

I hope I never have to experience this in the rear world. So the way I see it, the only way to test the system out is to drive towards your significant others car and wait for your PIP to stop itself. Anyone want to volunteer and report back?

2. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you first:D

3. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would but alas I got the base model;)

4. usdmattiphone

usdmattiphone Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have experienced it, although the crash ended up not being imminent. It was someone who stopped short in traffic and the system kicked into action and I was able to avoid any collision. It's also been activated once or twice without someone being in front of me, I'm not sure if it was just a random malfunction, but the alarm went off and it slowly started to depress the brake, and i just pressed the gas to speed back up.

5. blakemster

blakemster Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A couple of times from my crazy driving and one stop short ... It's pretty cool. The alarm scared me the first two time :)

6. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    So it does work? Did it apply the brakes and stop you before you hit?

7. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had the cruise set when someone served in front of me and hit the brakes.

My car set off an alarm, and agressively hit the brakes. Gave me more than enough time to get on the brakes myself.

Not sure if it would have taken me to a complete stop.

8. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Are there two different things being discussed here? When I have the radar-assisted cruise on, and someone cuts in front of me, the display in the dashboard flashes and chirps loudly and applies either the friction brakes or serious regenerative braking. Isn't this different from the Pre-Collision System?

9. usdmattiphone

usdmattiphone Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm not sure i've felt the seatbelts tighten when the cruise control alarm went off, but i did when the person in front of me almost stopped short when i wasn't using CC.

10. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There are a few other threads out there that have addressed this question during the past three years. Instead of hunting down a few of them for you, I've just pulled one I'm familiar with. This is a post of mine from June of 2009 describing some early experiences I had with the DRCC and PCS. (Note that I was referring to the ACC or automatice cruise control, but it really was the DRCC.)

These features were introduced in the Advanced Technology Package on the 2010 Prius V. I chuckled for a couple of years when watching Mercedes advertize similar systems in its cars, as though Mercedes was the first to think of such safety equipment. My car wasn't the first to have these items, but there weren't many cars in production that had them available.

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think you can test it at relatively low speeds, with some big cartons set in your path. Ours doesn't have it, btw.

13. DLee

DLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    During my test drive, the salseman told me about the collision system. I changed lanes on the highway, pulling in behind another vehicle. And all worked very well. The salesman was a little surprised... It appears that this system slows the vehicle to 20 mph, then gives control back to the driver.

14. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Toyota system, unlike that used in some other cars, is not designed to prevent an impact, only to lessen the severity.
    Personally, I have yet to even experience the seat belt pretensioning, much less the automatic braking (which I believe happens after the seat belts are tightened). I have, however, experienced it doing moderately heavy braking while flashing a warning and a fast beep while running with DRCC. That's not PCS, though.

15. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    From what I can tell from looking various descriptions of PCS, it uses the same radar as DRCC, but is not contingent on DRCC being active; PCS is always on when the car is in READY mode. If PCS kicks in, its visual and audible alerts and slamming on the brakes are distinct from the DRCC "too close" alerts and deceleration.

16. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'll confirm for you: the seat belt pretensioning happens before the automatic braking.

17. PRPrius

PRPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

a priori likes this.
  18. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks, PRPrius. I knew Toyota wasn't the first to have the technology, but Mercedes recent adds gave the impression no one else had or could offer this type of safety equipment. It is great to hear a bit more about the facts of the roll-out of these technologies.

Even so, the fact I had it in a car costing tens of thousands less years earlier seemed (still seems) humorous to me.

19. JasonB

JasonB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I haven't experienced this because I was under the impression it was activated when a collission was inevitable. I haven't had a wreck. I misunderstood the description when I decided to get the feature but ended up really liking the Dynamic Cruise Control.

20. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. As far as I know you wont experience it until just before you are in a car accident.

On a side note, how do you disable radar cruise? I thought I was doing it right but it doesn't disable.