1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone tried the Habitent?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Fin, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Fin

Fin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any thoughts? Is it cool/worth it? Or should I just get a tent?

Attached Files:

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do they still even make them? I've often thought you could use a design like this and have a hitch haul structure mounted to the back hitch to expand the space into something larger.

SFO likes this.
  3. PaulinOregon

PaulinOregon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We highly recommend the Habitent. We have used a habitent for several years, including a rainy autumn trip up the coast of SE Alaska and another trip Oregon to Maine and back across Canada and northern US. We are 5'8" and 5'4" medium build folks and while the Prius width is not roomy it is OK with camping pads. I added a plywood extender that I slip out over the bumper to add a few inches of length for our feet under the tent. The tent sets up very quickly and it is nice to be up off the ground. We carry a normal back packing tent with us too in case the weather is nice. In rain and snow the hatch tent is much nicer. It is also faster and cleaner to use than a normal camping tent. Stay in a campground near $250K class A motorhomes and you will be generate quite a bit of interest.

icyrius likes this.
  4. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    PSA: According to the website, 2003-2015 Habitents are sold out until December. I just bought a Napier Sportz Cove 61000; it's larger than a Habitent and has an awning that extends out from the hatch door. Costs ~$40 more than the Habitent.

5. ThisJJ

ThisJJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How does the Napier 61000 fit the Prius? The Prius is not listed as one of the vehicles the 61000 fits. I am interested in ordering this model, the awning is the clincher for me.

6. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, it's not listed. But it fits just fine. Much nicer than sleeping in the closed hatch.

ThisJJ likes this.
  7. DJexcess

DJexcess Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was about to pull the trigger on the habitent since it went back in stock. How easy does the napier pack down? Are the guy lines necessary if there's not a lot of wind?

8. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It packs pretty well back into the bag. I don't think I've ever even used the guy lines.

9. greenquark

greenquark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi there. I came across your post. Do you think a Napier Sportz Cove 61000 will fit on a prius prime 2020? O just say it on a van during a road trip and that awning is quite handy when raining or sunny. you can fit a small table under it.

10. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm pretty sure it would. Lots of elastic around the opening so it should adapt to different sizes of car (within reason).

Devil's Tower, WY, a few weeks ago:
    20220623_061458.jpg

3rd3rd likes this.
  11. greenquark

greenquark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thank you. I followed your idea and I got one for my prius prime 2020. It fits ok. One thing I am thinking of is to use a noodle, or insulation noodle to separate the tail from the napier fabric ( it feels really tight and it might damage the napier over time). We are really happy about it.

Thank you again!

PS: I might do some modifications. As the picture you show, he is having the same issue I have. One of the hooks is too long for the fender over the rear wheel.

PS1: Does it matter if the door is not open all the way up? The Rear Hatch Liftgate Lift Supports Struts not being completely extended?

Attached Files:

#11 greenquark, Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2022