1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has Anyone tried the ProClip mount on their Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Green Hokie, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just posted this over on the Modifications forum by mistake (meant to place it here in the Main forum, since it's more of a general topic). Sorry for the double-post.

Anyway, I just bought a Garmin GPS (Nuvi 255W) and do not like the two mounting options that came with the unit (windshield suction and friction mount). Therefore, I'm considering the ProClip Center Mount sold here on PriusShop. From that YouTube video, this ProClip Center Mount for the Prius looks like a nice, simple & clean mounting option for your GPS, Ipod, etc...

Just wondering if anyone has tried this product on their Prius (the center mount one) and what your impressions are.
    1) Does it stay in place as securely as claimed?
    2) Does the mount cause any scratching/scuffing of the surface where it snaps into place (the dashboard seam and the top of the center vent)?
    3) Does it cause any permanent separation of the dashboard seam?
    4) How does it hold up to weather extremes (especially during the summer when the dashboard can get very hot)?

I wish this product was carried by a local retailer, so that I could at least try it first. From my understanding, you cannot return anything bought at PriusShop, unless the item is defective or perhaps if it's unopened.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. cteeter1989

cteeter1989 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

I used mine for about four years or so to hold a satellite radio head, and it held up just fine. It didn't cause any scratching that I could see, and it didn't cause any separation either. I just got a new car, so I'm trying to sell my Proclip for my 2006 Prius. I've ordered a new one for my new car. They don't require any drilling or heavy adhesive to mount.

3. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine took a bit of effort to clip in but it's been great. I use it to hold my Nokia N95 cell phone with GPS... then I made a little bracket in the machine shop at work to hold my scangauge to the left of the phone.

I don't plan on uninstalling it so I won't know if it has scratched anything. It seems quite stable. I don't imagine I've tested it to the temperatures that you might, but I haven't even noticed the swivel adaptor getting loose or anything due to temp fluctuations. It's definely been a install and forget about it item for me.

I ordered direct from proclip so i could also get the right swivel charging part to attach my cell to the centre mount.