1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone tried using Bosch Fusion +4 spark plugs?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jeffery Merrill, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Jeffery Merrill

Jeffery Merrill Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I installed a set in my 2005 Corolla LE and saw an increase of 3 to 5 MPG average above the NGKs that were in it. I think it's because it opens the spark up to the entire combustion chamber where standard plugs have the negative electrode blocking a portion of it.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You might get better results with new NGK plugs. Normally when the plug gap gets old, it goes out of spec. So new plugs would help.

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I've tried Bosch plugs in several different cars, but I've never had luck with them. Maybe they're recommending the wrong heat range. I always wind up going with the OEMs again, which have been shifting from platinum to iridium tips.

4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    To re-phrase:
    The increase in mileage that he noticed was probably because he replaced the OLD PLUGS that were not performing up to spec. anymore.
    And not because the new ones he put in are really superior in any way.
    The first spark does all the work. The other 3 electrodes are just wasted hardware.

Mendel Leisk and vegan like this.
  5. Jeffery Merrill

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So that means the answer is actually no, no one has done the research or tried them in a Gen 2. Looks like it falls to me to give it a whirl. It just so happens the P.O. just installed a set of brand new NGKs. I will keep records of mileage as close to daily as I can for a month, then, I'll try a set of the Fusion +4's and see how they do over the following month. I will then post results here.

SFO likes this.
  6. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Jeff, you will have trouble getting accurate results with all these temperature swings we have been having. Temperature and the road conditions mean everything to gas mileage.

El Dobro likes this.
  7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct, the only real way to compare them is to give each a full year in the car. Even at that, it could be a little off, but it would be a closer comparison.

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This one of those subjects that pops up every now and then. Just like gasoline octane ratings. If an engine is not misfiring, the spark plugs are doing their job. A spark plug cant make it fire harder or longer or with more power. Changing plugs can provide better fuel mileage only if it's correcting an existing problem, like a misfire. Anyone with techstream can go online with their car and look at misfire counts for each cylinder to see if a problem is developing.

Raytheeagle, padroo and SFO like this.
  9. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't live too far from Jeff, I bet his gas mileage tanks again with temperatures around zero last night. and not getting too warm during the day.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Taking the 9 year old cops in and out will possibly cause more problems.
    You have a nine year old car drive it fior a while I would imagine there
    Will be things that are more pressing coming up.

Btw, There is no electrode blocking anything. When a spark plug ignites compressed fuel it’s a pretty powerful explosion. Enough that 4 small piston chambers can move a 3500 lb car quite fast.

Montgomery and Raytheeagle like this.
  11. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    As a general rule, I buy spark plugs from the country where the care was made...ish.

European cars get Bosch plugs
    American cars get AC or Champion plugs
    Asian cars get NGK (or maybe Denso)

Maybe I just imagine it, but I've been doing that for 30+ years and my cars have always been happy.

Montgomery and Jeffery Merrill like this.
  12. Jeffery Merrill

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I haven't picked up the car yet, the insurance check hasn't arrived yet, and it's driving me nuts! This is why I hate snail mail. I ALWAYS use priority two day because it also has tracking.

Anyway, I've already purchased a block heater to mitigate some of the effects from these low temps.

13. Jeffery Merrill

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I get what you are saying but all three of my previous cars, two of them corollas, had increases in MPGs using the Fusion plugs. They came recommended by an instructor from my college courses in automotive technology and I found that my cars seemed to even run smoother with them. My 2000 Corolla was on it's third set when it died a couple years ago. When I first got the car it took a few seconds of cranking to start up but when I put the Bosch in it usually started on the first crank. Yes, I fully admit that the old plugs were probably past their useful life, but they were still pretty clean, if slightly discolored from age.

14. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Please allow me the opportunity to apologize publicly, Jeffrey. I did not mean for my post to imply that your choice of spark plugs was wrong. I was simply stating what I do.

I am deeply sorry.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Jef, what school are you going to?

16. Jeffery Merrill

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You have absolutely no reason to be sorry so it's all cool. Just as you were citing what you do, I was explaining my reasons for what I do. If any apology is needed it's from me, I should have phrased my reply better than I did. Sometimes I can be a bit oblivious in case it weren't obvious, LMAO!

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. Jeffery Merrill

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went to College of Marin, Indian Valley Campus, out in California. It was a two year course in everything automotive mechanically, and sponsored mostly by GM. I attended from September 1992 through May 1994. Yes, I'm old school, lol.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  18. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The fusion +4, those are the plugs that have 4 ground electrodes? and are about 20 bucks each?

19. Jeffery Merrill

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Those are the ones, but they are about $6 each now. At least they are on Amazon.

20. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What Bosch part number are you using? I can't find a Gen 2 compatible part number, even on the Bosch website.