1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone with a CAT shield, experienced a theft nevertheless?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Johnny Cakes, Dec 16, 2022.

1. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    This is not a thread about the merits of whether or not to install a CAT shield.

I'm asking whether anyone who already has one installed has experienced a theft nevertheless.

I'm wondering whether a CAT thief decides "too much trouble, I'll move on to lower hanging fruit" when they see a CAT shield.

If so, perhaps the CAT shield doesn't have to be particularly good; perhaps a visual deterrent when the thief looks under the car is all it takes.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Or some sticky barbs welded to the pipe so when he reaches his hand under there to check they don't usually look first they reach under the car I do believe just to see well did connections etc then they know something they think they know when they reach under there to do that if they all of a sudden get their hand impaled on a bunch of punji like sticks. They might move on real fast and realize what's up

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While I haven't, some others with shields have still had their cats stolen, both here and in other forums. The shield does work as a deterrent, but isn't a guarantee. When there isn't enough low hanging fruit available, the thieves do start reaching higher up into the tree.

#3 fuzzy1, Dec 16, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bam! 1st reply hi jacked it.