1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has GM overdesigned the Volt: Is a 40-mile all electric range too much?

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by Fibb222, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting... i'm not sure. There are Americans that will travel 40 miles to work on the highway (maybe not in this economy but they usually do).

Also Chrysler is showcasing a similar system in its Town & Country minivan at the auto show. They also call it an EV with Range Extender.

3. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Every new product is over designed, nature of the business. GM needs the Volt, needs it to wow, needs it to show a new direction for GM, so naturally it will be over designed even worse. The price is what is unrealistic, they will get some buyers, but if they can't bring the price down quickly, the Volt won't have a long service run. But it will give GM lots of knowledge and technical expertise on making high mileage hybrids, which hopefully they can use to make low priced hybrids.

4. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think for every person who say's '40 miles is too much', there's ten crying '100 miles isn't enough!' about the Aptera or the Tesla.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    GM may learn a lot from the Volt and then they will sell off the technology to an oil company.

6. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I would think that a 300 to 400 mile range would be good and 500 even better. I don't want to go on a trip and have to stop every 40 / 100 miles to recharge! If any oil companies are sitting on battery technology then I think it is time for a CHANGE to quote someone who doesn't really seem to understand the meaning of the word! Allow the technology to be used for the good of the public and the country (not to mention the world) and screw the patents. They should only be good for a short amount of years anyways!

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have to agree with PriuStorm on this one. And, in my opinion, it's not a fact-based or statistical argument. Those who I have spoken with insist that less than 300 miles of battery time is worthless because it means that they will need to be constantly plugging the stupid thing in. They simply want to be able to drive about a week between charges. It has nothing to do with using the current technology or the fact that 40 miles is more than they daily round-trip commute.

Then they think I'm stupid when I say that I would be thrilled to tears if my Prius had as little as ten miles of EV capacity with regen ability.

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, the Volt has that gas in the tank that has to be used before it goes stale, so 40 miles isn't awful. That'd cover my to-and-from on a workday plus some side trips.

Trick is, I really don't want a commuter car and a trip car. If I can get a 500-mile-range vehicle that uses no gasoline that'd be wonderful, but until that glorious day they'd better keep making the Prius...

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Agreed. I did see something on television in which people are trying to implement an idea I should have attempted to patent when I originally thought of it years ago. The batteries are easily accessible and replaceable. You don't buy the batteries but rather you lease them.

Drive into a fueling station and there are attendants who swap out your nearly drained battery for a new one in the time it normally takes to pump 15 gallons of gasoline into a conventional vehicle. They could check the charge level of the replaced battery and credit you the remaining dollar value towards the lease of the new one.

With an infrastructure setup such as this, a person could have their cross-country trip in their electric vehicle. Of course, I'm not so silly as to not recognize that it would require a whole new infrastructure being developed and would be many times more efficient if all manufacturers agreed on a single battery size, shape, type. Good luck with that happening.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't say the EV2 is overdesigned - more like underproduced.

11. sailronin@hotmail.com

[email protected] New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I drive 124 miles round trip to work, the Prius is making a big difference in my fuel costs but it would be great to go at least 40 miles in EV mode. Putting a solar panel on the roof would let the car charge in the parking lot at work. Going 100 would be better but it seems a distant dream for that kind of battery only range.

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Indeed. My usual response is to tell them to imagine how great it would be to have a gasoline-powered cell phone. Instead of all the hassle of conveniently plugging it in at home every day, you could just drive it down to a special charging station every few days. You could then buy a Slurpee, and clean your glasses while you charge it up, and then you're on your way. Oh, and don't forget the oil changes and tuneups!

13. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ignoring the politics of your message - you may have missed that this is about a plug-in hybrid. With 40 miles of battery range on a 500 mile trip, you don't have to stop at 40 miles - you just have to start burning gasoline.

And one other point I like to bring up in long range discussions... are there really people out there who want to drive 500 (even 200) miles without stopping? Not me!

14. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Darrel, on a recent trip I drove my Prius 2700km in under 30 hours, so yes, there are people who want to drive 500 miles non stop. Another way to put it, and I discovered this when I rode about 2000km one way on my motorbike, I would rather stop in a pleasant place with a view than a petrol station every 200km.
    I wouldn't mind a scenic parking bays with charge ports, at 200km intervals along major routes and a 15 minute charge time. That isn't usually the case here, sometimes it is 350km between towns.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I put nearly 900km/day on my cross country trip.

16. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Years ago when we drove cross-country, we drove about 850 miles per day. We had one long day where we topped 1000 miles.

On a separate topic, since we are talking/dreaming about new infrastructure for efficient recharging, I would like to dream about a highway that allows you to just use electricity as you drive.

Sure, you have a battery pack in your car for when you get off the 'electric' highway and aren't connected. The system would charge your account for what you use by a fancy meter in your car (like a FasTrak charges your account when you cross the Bay Bridge), and without the meter, you don't have access to the power (just like with FasTrak).

Voila, range problem solved. For city/back roads, you have 100 mile battery range and have to manually charge at stations or in your garage (until the infrastructure develops further), but for long range highway travel, you just go until you run out of powered road.

One would think something like this would be possible in today's time and age. It's kind of like building the 'hydrogen highway'. We already have buses in cities that are electric. Rather than having the connection be overhead, I think it should be between the chassis and the ground somehow. And it could start out like a 'special' lane, kind of like the HOV lanes are now.

17. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    All of you writing about how 300 to 500 mile EVs would be great forget that even when/if batteries are capable of such a feat, the grid could never provide that much power to the batteries in a reasonable amount of time. It would take days to charge. The alternative is convenientely placed battery swap stations and navigational software to help you find them in time, like Better Place is designing. Then a 125 mile battery is all we need, even for road trips. What we really need (and will get in a few years) is a cheaper and more reliable battery - we already have all the distance we need.

18. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So if the grid can't charge the batteries in the car what will charge the change-over batteries?

19. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes. I've been arguing that very point for quite some time.

Sure I'd love an EV with a bazillion mile range. However, few people would be able to afford the bazillion dollar price tag attached to it. At current battery prices, the 40 mile range adds about $20-25k to the cost of the Volt. That puts it in a price range that few people will be able to afford (even with the tax credit). If people don't buy many, volumes won't go up, and battery prices won't come down. That will severely limit the amount of impact the Volt will have on our national fuel consumption, and eventually give GM a good reason to cancel it due to poor demand.

Meanwhile, a shorter range PHEV would be a lot easier for many people to afford. It would also make more sense for most people. Unless you are completely running the battery down every day, you are paying a lot of money for battery capacity you don't need. This is one of the big differences between EVs and PHEVs in my mind. EVs need extra range "just in case". PHEVs don't, thats what the ICE is for. Since every kWh of battery used equates to a certain volume of gasoline saved, you are getting the most possible bang for your buck if finish every day with a flat battery. Thats one of the reasons I see short range PHEVs as a logical next step on the road from ICE to BEVs. As long as they are affordable and put a noticeable dent in your fuel bill, they will drive demand for batteries eventually making long range PHEVs and BEVs available at an attractive price-point.

The only way I can see at the current time to accelerate this process is a major investment by the government to bring batteries into high volume production sooner.

Rob

20. rubberpill2002

rubberpill2002 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Personally, I feel that the volt is perfect. It has a really nice design and for most will be gas free. Many will not use the entire 40 mile range, but that is the point. This car is not meant to only drive to work and back, you want to also go to the grocery store, movies, out to eat, and other places AFTER work, the 40 mile range takes that into consideration as well. My wife and I drive 4 miles to and from work and sometimes make a lot of side trips along the way, the volt will be PERFECT for us. Unless toyota comes out with a similar option (I do not mean a plug in Prius with 65 MPG) we will be trading in our current Prius for the Volt. I believe it is a fantastic car, and if GM is serious about it, they will easier surpass Toyota as the greenest major automaker (in the marketing sense; there are other greener automakers).