1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has it been a cool summer fo far for you?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Jul 9, 2009.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    a company providing a new food source compatible with our new climate would be a very profitable venture.

would be low volume, high profit, since only the upper 5% of the world could afford it. us peons would be left by the wayside to fight for the leftovers

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    With mass production, many could afford my new high protein food source. Those that can't, and unfortunately expire, can become part of that new high protein food source

Mmmmmm MMMMMMM!

3. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    With the end of August I'm ready to say, "yes, it has been a cool summer." This August was about 1 F lower than last which was low, especially compared to the record setting scorchers that preceded it. May was normal, June was normal. July was very cool. August was very cool. Too bad the fish are cooking in the oceans...

My AC use has been minimal since this home's current cooling balance point is ~72 F for the 24 hour average. It looks like we could be within spitting distance of 6,000 kwh/year for the 12 month period from May forward. That would be ~1/4th that of the previous occupants.:horn::whoo:

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    With the dog days of summer upon us, I can state that it is 49°F here this morning.

Tom

5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You should talk to more people in TX.
    In southern texas, where the average # of days hotter than 100 degrees is 10, they are now over 53 days.
    Add drought to that and it isn't very pretty.
    Where I am at (MN) is has been very cool early and late in the summer. Middle was about average.
    In southern CA, well, between drought and hot temps we can see what is going on there.

6. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No a/c at home at all this year. Never even put them in the windows. Easily 10 degrees cooler this summer than last.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well its 51º right now, high yesterday was about 63. it drizzled yesterday, sunny and 80 the day before that, it looks to drizzle today... may seen cold and it is below the average high of 75 for this time of year, but this weather is not unusual at all. can remember many many crummy weather weekends for labor day.

but no matter how cold it gets this week, it will still not outdo the atypical weather we had here this summer. no rain in May, Arizona weather in July, ya, all kinds of records broken this year. heck!@! our weather even made the national news

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just heard today that South Australia recorded temperatures on average 1 degree celsius higher than average for the month of August.

Today, September 1 is the fist day of spring here.

9. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Surprisingly, if you look at the averages at Weatherunderground for your location the overall delta was only about 0.8 - 0.9 degrees F for Morgantown in the past three months compared to 2008. 2008 average was June 71.4, July 73.6, August 71.0; while 2009 was 69.8, 70.4 and 73.3 respectively. However, I imagine your prior years' summers were warmer. (2007 was a scorcher where I'm at, about 3.5 degrees hotter over 5 months.) Plus it looks like it was much warmer for you in early summer last year followed by the same August cool off that we got.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oddly enough, its warming up here. High of 80 F today.

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lotsa water, then lotsa sun. Perfect scenario for mosquitos. I've read that eggs can stay viable for years, and many season's worth can hatch all at once when conditions are right.

Are you still sure you don't want to live on the coast, Jayman? :)

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The mosquito is our state bird.

Tom

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Speaking of mosquitoes, yes, they are now hatching in record numbers. I mowed the lawn yesterday, and just about passed out from blood loss