1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has my oil been overfilled by Toyota?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bgustafson, Apr 20, 2018.

1. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1.6 qts? I just put in a half of a quart, it was half way between the marks.
    At 5000 miles.

If I can remember the next time I change the oil, I'll put in 3 quarts, start it and let the engine
    run for 10 or so seconds to circulate the oil, then let it sit 5 minutes and check it. Add what I need....

2. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Nice, thank you very much for answering, this was my first time doing this kind of stuff, i though i would have to go trough all the pain again because of the overfill, have a good night.

ASRDogman likes this.
  3. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I see, 100 - 150 cc is a very small quantity, i think i will leave it as it is and when the time to change the oil again comes i will pay more attention to this.

tvpierce, ASRDogman and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you run the engine before checking the level? I usually run the engine a few minutes to circulate the oil, especially through the new filter. I then let it sit a little for excess oil to drain into the pan before checking.You may find that the new filter absorbs what appears to be excess oil.

All this is assuming you changed the oil filter too which is highly recommended.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I changed the oil filter yes. I ran the engine and went for a drive, i have not checked the oil level yet but i think it will be most likely fine due to how small the overfill quantity was. Since the oil is transparent is quite hard to see the real level, i might try to look at it tomorrow.

Prodigyplace likes this.