1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has the rough cold start issue being corrected?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by GrumpyCabbie, Oct 23, 2011.

1. suz

suz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    this just happened to my 2010 prius today in Arozona...I had driven the car 4 hours earlier no problem, It was sitting in 50 degree weather. It shook for about 30 seconds then evened out...very sacary. I have 55,000 miles on the car.

2. Neohybrid

Neohybrid Not-so-junior member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It hasn't happened in the gen III yet, but it happened for the first time last week in the gen II (08, 65,000 miles). Turned the car around so it was facing "out" of garage since possible "bad" weather coming. Garage is heated (was about 62 in garage), but the car had been sitting for about 6 days. Started up OK, but when ICE fired it ran rough for about 20 seconds. May have been the fact that it sat for extended time -not used to that - or fact that it only ran for a few seconds when I turned it around. Once in 4 years - I would count that as rare.

3. Hawkeyertt

Hawkeyertt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I experienced this strong vibration at start up for the first time this morning. it lasted a few seconds. My Gen II (08) has 118K on it, I did move it from the driveway to the street yesterday (about 30 feet) and then it sat overnight. Also, the overnight temp got into the upper 30s, much cooler than usual. First time in 6+ years and 118K miles.

4. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First time happening since I've had the car, moved to another parking spot yesterday around 10am, 55 degrees out. Sat until this morning, report said it was 39 when I went to leave..started driving and felt like I was dragging a fender liner. Let it sit and idle and been fine since...wondering if I should even call the dealer since there's no fix anyway

5. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Check out the first listed comment in the Repairs and Maintenance thread. There's a TSB.

KBeck

sdtundra likes this.
  6. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My VIN doesn't fall within the required range but thanks, will give em a call and see what can be done.

7. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    TSB doesn't fix it anyway. I don't think there is a known cure

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I started this thread in 2011 and hadn't had a problem for a while back then. Since I started this thread I've never had the cold start vibration. I'm guessing that whatever is causing it has been corrected, or much reduced in some software update.