1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ichiro, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The other day I had a routine dr.'s appt... afterwards, I walk out to the parking lot and see a spectra blue Prius, so I walk up to it and put my hand on the door handle. No beeping or unlocking. Weird, I was pretty sure that I had locked it. Shrugging, I open the door, hop in, and hit the power button. Nothing. Oh shiite, did the battery die? Where's my key fob? Damn!

Then I noticed the seat was was wayyy forward. Crap, who messed with my seat while I was gone? Then I see melted chocolate or something in the cupholder... hmmm, I'm usually not THAT messy. Ok, I guess it's not my Prius!

Sheepishly, I get out and see another spectra blue Prius a few feet away.
    That one turned out to be mine. :doh: I rarely see other spectra blue's out there, but I guess they are becoming more common :love:

2. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Whenever I see a car exactly like mine I try to park next to it hoping to confuse the owner. :p

But I lock it. :)

3. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    why didnt you clean up the melted chocolate?

See if I let you in my car! :D

4. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Time for me to fess up, you are not alone!

5. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Used to have that problem. Don't anymore. :D

6. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In the early 80s, I had a chocolate brown 1982 Honda Civic.

I did the same thing (no key fobs then) but put my key in the door. It unlocked. I got in, put my key in the ignition, started it, and went to put it into gear. Funny, when I *LEFT* the car, it was a stick shift. It had somehow morphed into an automatic transmission car. That's when it finally hit me that I got into the wrong car.

I was more than a little embarassed by that lapse.

7. kazots

kazots LifesaBeach

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have never found a car like mine as clean and polished. I would never have that problem. Now that I said that, I hope I never make that mistake.

8. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

9. Enorris

Enorris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In my neighborhood in Manhattan there are 3 in three of us that have the same color. With me and my wife driving there is always a little hunting and checking the plates. I have noticed that I am the only one with a Green EZpass.

10. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We parked out Gray Avalon next to one just like it in front of a restaurant. The weather was hot so we left the windows down and the car unlocked. The other car was the same way. When we came out, the other car was gone, but ours had the steering wheel raised up and the driver's seat moved back.

11. ranchogirl

ranchogirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No, but a couple of weeks ago I was parked out front of Best Buy with my daughter in the back seat waiting for my dh and my son to come back out. Suddenly the back door opens and I turn expecting to see my son, but a teenage girl hops in. Before I could speak (er, scream), she screams, going "Oh my God! I'm so sorry! This is the wrong car!" and she jumps back out, screaming the whole way over to a nearby white car (which was not even a Prius).

Yikes.

12. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    1970's, 1973 Grand Torino Brougham, blue, rarely saw one, let alone same color ext/int. Door Key worked, ignition key didn't. It was getting dark and the car was clean and empty inside, nothing to indicate wrong car. Thank goodness ingnition key didn't work or I may have driven off in it. :car:

13. aforkosh

aforkosh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    1) While walking around my neighborhood shortly after purchasing a new tan 1983 Toyota Tercel, I observed 'my car' a few blocks from the car port that I was sure it was in. At that time, I decided to get a personalized license plate, since moved to my Prius (see signature).

2) When I first learned to drive, my parents owned a 1962 Oldsmobile and a 1963 Cadillac (both bought used). I had keys to both cars, and drove each of them occasionally. One day, I went out to the Caddy and the door lock seemed a bit difficult to turn. The key, however, would not go into the ignition at all. At that point, I realized, I was using the Olds key.

14. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Me neither. The OP needs to get creative.

Think of the roof alone. A blank rectangle. Easy: Mondrian, or Mark Rothko. or Jackson Pollack. Or Matisse, or Picasso, or Rembrandt, or Vermeer, or Peter Max. Do something !!

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    This is exactly why I have a custom license place, & a priuschat.com decal in the back (as well as the solo HOV stickers.

16. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've done that before, but not now. My Prii is the only of it's style. imo, the coolest Prii in my state!

17. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It happened with my Explorer (my unlamented Prius trade-in). As I sat down I noticed the car reeked of cigarette smoke (I'm a non-smoker) and then I noticed it being a lot dirtier than I would keep my car. I was out of there fast. :eek:

18. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, i've parked next to 2 other white Prius' at the mall. Mine is the only one glowing and polished with an ASU license plate frame and trim rings off.

Funny thing was, as i was loading things into the back of mine, the other owner came out and commented on my "aftermarket wheels" :rolleyes:

19. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Not with Pearl, but worse, a few years ago.

Friend and I flew to Vegas for Comdex. Rented a car.

We're cheep, so we parked the car at Treasure Island in the multistory lot and walked the rest of the way. After a long day wandering through the exhibits we walked back to Treasure Island and took the elevator up to "our floor". Went to "our car". Keys wouldn't work. My coat was missing from the back seat. After an initial panic, cooler heads prevailed and we searched the floor above and below. On the floor below we found "our car".
    Cue "Outer limits music".
    Same parking space (directly below the other car).
    Same make, model, and colour car.
    Same rental company.

We quietly drove back to our hotel.

20. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It happened at Hybridfest last month. I couldn't figure out why Fiona wouldn't let me in the hatch until I realized that she was parked next to the car I was trying to open.

It also happened to me with a '65 Dodge Dart in LaCanada, California in 1967. I came out of the school where I was teaching, unlocked the door of a pale cream Dart & then couldn't figure out why the ignition key wouldn't work. Suddenly realized it wasn't my car - ooops! Never did find out which other teacher shared my taste in cars. And talk about unobservant - my car was a 4-door & I was trying to drive off in a 2-door! :rolleyes: