1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has Toyota decreased the incentives in December?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by mshinrockford, Dec 1, 2010.

1. mshinrockford

mshinrockford New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it just me, or do others agree that Toyota seems to have actually decreased the purchase incentives in December? For example, in late-November, Toyota was offering 0.0% APR for up to 60 months plus $500 Toyota Bonus Cash (rebate). Now, according to what I've read, they are still offering the 0.0% APR for up to 60 months, and they are also offering a $1,000 rebate, but now you cannot combine the two incentives. In my mind, the 0.0% APR is worth more that $500 Net Present Value, so the November incentives (0.0% APR plus $500 rebate) were actually better than the current December incentives. Have I missed something? If no, this seems like a very strange strategy for a company that still needs to sell a lot of 2010's before the 2011's arrive. :confused:

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As far as I remember here in the Northeast it's always been either the low rate OR $1000 rebate

3. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I bought my Prius in September and it was 0% or $1000 rebate, but I didn't really pay attntion to November.

I did have to remind my dealer that the 0% was available... :eek:

4. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I replaced my 2010 Prius in October the incentives were different in Northern Nevada, which offered 0% for up to 48 mos, than 90 minutes away in Northern California, which offered 0% for up to 36 mos AND up to $1,500 down payment match. I decided buying in California was a better deal.

5. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    incentives

What's decreased about incentives in regards to leasing is residuals are dropping heavily since springtime. That affects lease payment.

On my end, what's frustrating is I get referrals from other Prius owners who bought in spring or summer, they are surprised that I am unable to match or beat a deal "their friend" got ... especially here at model year end. If they are leasing, I can't TOUCH a summertime Prius lease deal. It's not mathematically possible unless we go $2K in the hole.... and that ain't happening.

The Jan/Feb 2010 debacle about the fake runaway Prius started this all. The crazy recalls that ensued created "year end" deals starting with Feb and March and now, it's all so yawn-worthy because we've been there and done that terms-wise for 10 months?

The only thing they can do now to improve on what was offered to clean up the recalls mess as far as biz flow goes is a 72 month low APR offering. BUT -- it screws up their lease plans for customer retention and used car flow for 3 years later. That screwed GM up royally... so they are at a pivotal point where no one can really come up with anything amazing lease-wise this late into a model year. They will keep the status quo, as I predict, and do NO incentive for 2011 Prius for quite a while... that will move the 2010. As low as these rates are in a progressive area such as SoCal, no one I know of is afraid of keeping 2010 Prius stock while the 2011's are also here. They will make sense to hang onto and not freak out about having because of their terms... :)

6. Ted in Olympia

Ted in Olympia New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They quit for a while but now they are back to 0% or 2k back on the 2010 Prius.

7. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In WPa and WVa it's 0%/60 or $1500 cashback but never both. Some large dealers are offering $1 under invoice on all Toyotas in stock.

The last 1000 or less 2010's for the East Coast should be nearing the canal. 2011's already at dealers in SoCal and LV, NV.

In WPa, WVa, and EOh there are at most 200 Prius left. Mostly 2's and 3's with a handful of base 4's and 5's. I counted 6 solar pkg's and 2 atp models. SE Toyota list 343 Prius total, 3 pkg 5 left and only 1 has the atp.

8. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The incentives will always be different per region, as different areas need different incentives to move certain product.

Each regions TDA folks determine how much $ they have and what theye expect to get as they move product and what they need to move more of certain product. They also learn, over time, that some vehicles just don't sell that much better or worse with or w/o incentives. They would reserve the highest incentives for the cars that either need them to move product OR cars they need to improve the ratios on.

Example: FJ Cruiser. If you are wanting an FJ, an incentive isn't going to push you harder when you're ready, and lack of incentive on a car that sells in such a small ratio doesn't harm sales. It's been proven time after time... so they would push that $ towards another model that's had lackluster performance vs. expectation.

I am not guessing here. I have been selling new Toyotas (and Scion as of 2004 now) since 1980. I'm not guessing. I've been doing Toyota since there was no TFS and when there were markups over stickers on all cars in the 1980's!

Dianne

9. navy48

navy48 LBII (Lil Blue II)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    we were offered the $1,000 cash back OR the 0% for 60 months. we took the 0% deal. we keep our money in the bank, 'just in case', and use Toyotas money at no charge. yea, the $1,000 would have been nice, but NOT parting with $15K difference at one time is much NICER! ;)