1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has Toyota fallen out of love with the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by GrumpyCabbie, Nov 1, 2014.

1. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Speaking to the UK market, if sales of new Prius cars is declining yet demand for used cars is holding prices high, then the only likely cause of slumping new sales is that the car is priced too high. Clearly it's popular (or about as popular) with consumers or the used market would be in similar decline. New cars are relatively more expensive in the UK anyway, but a Prius specced up similarly to my US bought three costs the dollar equivalent of a bit over 37,000 - $10,000 more than in the US.

To my mind, that puts a liftback in a price band where it competes against a number of popular vehicles offering poorer fuel economy but more power, higher levels of comfort and equipment or better 'market image'.

I would expect the natural outcome of this to be that most of those in the UK who want optimal fuel economy are likely to opt for the cheaper Yaris hybrid. If those people are in the market at liftback level costs, there's a lot more temptation at that point to drop fuel economy down the list of priorities in favour of something like performance.

I don't know whether the same happened in the UK market as it did in the US when the gen 3 models were introduced, but here they cheapened the Prius experience by dropping features. My gen 2 model III had fog lights, auto-dipping mirror with homelink, SKS on 3 doors, touchscreen display, HID headlights. My gen 3 model three had none of those, and SKS only on the driver's door. In addition, while the stereo was still the JBL premium model with 6 CD changer, it had a much more basic feature set, including a 10 character display. I think by making the decision to restrict the cool 'extras' to the top-end of the range only, Toyota shot themselves in the foot with potential buyers. One of the strong selling features was all the cool technology and gadgetry a Prius came with, and suddenly it didn't.

Obviously they have somewhat corrected this, but removing extras which are increasingly part of competitors' packages must have lost Toyota at least some Prius sales - and momentum in the marketplace. At best that takes a long time to recover from.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota seem to have priced the Prius above the Auris and have made the hybrid a premium option on the Auris. It looks like they're trying to avoid overlap in pricing.

Trouble is, when I bought my Prius in 2009 it was £17,500 with the competition at about £16,500, whereas now the Prius is £22,000 and the competition is about £17,500. To show how crazy the Prius pricing is, just compare the base Prius at £22k against a BMW 3 series at £23,500 and a Lexus CT200h at £20,995!

Yes, a Lexus CT200h is £1,000 ($1,600) less than a base Prius! Now do you see why I say Toyota UK just don't want the Prius to sell. In the US the base Prius is $7,850 LESS than the CT200h, not $1,600 MORE. Both the Prius and the CT200h are imported from Japan so they can't say import duties account for the difference or currency fluctuations. Toyota just don't see a place for the Prius and are pricing it out of their lineup. Hence I think they've fallen out of love with the Prius and I fear we'll get to see the gen4.

Shame, and I fear they'll come to regret it. As others have said, there's a demand for it and second hand values are strong with a capital S.

Lexus - Amazing in Motion Luxury & Hybrid Cars | Official UK Site
    New Cars, Used cars, Hybrid Cars, Small Cars | Toyota UK
    New Cars by BMW - BMW Award Winning Luxury Cars 2014
    (All our costs have 20% sales tax which bumps up the cost compared to your prices).

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    GC,
    The pricing does seem irrational, but I do not know enough about the UK scene to comment.

Is Lexus considered a 'luxury' brand in the UK ? How about the Prius ?

4. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota is looked down upon; think Corolla. Lexus is a luxury brand and actively competes with Audi, BMW and Mercedes, though with less success than your side of the pond.

Just had a look at ct200h sales and they're pretty steady at about 4000/4500 a year since introduction. That's more than the Prius of late.

LEXUS CT 200 (model family) - How Many Left?

I didn't realise the ct200h was such good value. If I were ever to replace the Prius I'd get the Lexus, esp as no long in the taxi 'game'.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    whats wrong with corolla? they are very popular here.

6. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They were here too as is its replacement the Auris. There was nothing wrong with the car but they're looked on as an appliance, a white good, functional that looks after your pocket rather than your heart. I'm not saying Toyota is looked on in the same light as Kia but that they're just regarded as middle of the road and boring and dull.

There are a lot of badge whores in the UK. There's also a split between the German and Japanese camps. Amazing what advertising does. There is a big company car base here (employee perk), so perhaps you don't mind getting a BMW if your employer is picking up the repair costs! Personally I'd be curious what the split is between private and company purchases between German/Japanese cars.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, but over here, the appliances are the top ten selling cars. i think corolla is #4non hybrid.

8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are appliances and appliances. Toyota don't show in the top 10 here, but Nissan come in at 6th and 7th place and BMW at 10th.

Britain's 10 best-selling cars: in pictures - Telegraph

But with their strange pricing structure I wonder how Toyota sell many at all.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow! amazingly different than here! ford fiesta is your number one selling car? who would have thunk?

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Median salaries are considerably lower in the UK than the US, and cars are some 20% more expensive.

Cars called 'econoboxes' in the US are called 'nice cars' in the UK. Same story in Israel, only more so because VAT is 150% (one hundred and fifty percent): A well heeled middle-class family might spring for a Honda Civic.

11. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Erm I wouldn't say it's salaries but that we pay $8 a US gallon on average. And as you say, our prices are generally 20% more expensive too which doesn't help. It's also that small cars are easier to park in our crowded streets, and with a significant proportion of old housing stock that was built before cars were invented, off road parking is only available in newer properties.

A problem that might only affect a minority of property owners in New York or Boston affects us in every town and city. Think of 'Doc Martin' as an extreme example of parking problems.

Parking issues haunt us in the same way they do in Japan. Many houses have 2 or 3 or more cars but with no off street parking. In that situation small is beautiful (y)

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    $8 a gallon explains fuel sippers more than it explains econoboxes. If $8 a gallon fuel came to the US, Prius sales would explode, not sardine cans on wheels.

I certainly agree that smaller sized cars are easier to park in congested countries, but am I wrong in saying that even in the UK car sizes have on average decreased over the past few decades ?

13. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The more Toyota listens to the MBAs, the more like their less-successful competitors they will become. Toyota rose to the top of the automotive industry by not following the short-sighted, zero-sum, "grab it while you can" doctrines of greedy entrepreneurs like the "Wolf of Wall Street" many of whom have been serving time.

The long game has been won by Toyota, but playing the short-game would be its downfall. Customer loyalty can be squandered for quick cash, but once that's gone, it's all over.

Sporin and Zythryn like this.
  14. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    SUVs aren't sold in the numbers they once were. Most people have moved on to the RAV4 type vehicle and similar. A Prius is classed as a family car and a Mercedes S class is classed as huge. American pickups (from the US base) are just ridiculous on our narrow streets.

Even marked parking bays are much smaller than yours and anything other than a small Fiesta sized car would struggle to get in as this example shows;

[​IMG]

Try squeezing a Prius in there :) let alone a Ford F150. Our IQ would have no problem. Once you see what issues we have to contend with makes you appreciate why we have smaller cars. Space is at a premium here.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it does make you wonder, with the top 10 cars being such pieces of carp, how toyota and honda have failed so miserably. even hyundai/kia seem to be struggling to get a foothold. maybe there's just an anti asian bias?

16. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's more complicated than that. Kia are up and coming, hyundai dropped the ball. Most magazines just sing the praises of the VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat group.

But look at the prices of Toyota and Honda. They make cars here as do Nissan but despite being top of the list for dealer support and reliability both Toyota and Honda fail to sell in great number. Why? Don't really know but they are expensive for what they are. The Honda Insight is about £1,000 less than the Prius but the SAME as a Lexus. I think they just want an easy life selling enough but not too many. Let's sell 10,000 at 2% profit than 25,000 at 1% maybe? Less money overall, but a much easier life.

Different mentality to the US. You want to sell, sell, sell. Here they talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Toyota HQ Japan want to gain market share, but Toyota UK put up the cost of their cars and wonder why market share reduces.

The new car market winners and losers of 2013 | Autocar

All the following have lost market share;

Toyota 2012: 4.14% and in 2013: 3.91%
    Kia 2012: 3.26% and in 2013: 3.18%
    Honda 2012: 2.65% and in 2013: 2.46%
    Lexus 2012: 0.41% and in 2013: 0.40%

I guess it's a balance between market share and profit, but isn't also about getting your cars seen, getting people into them, keeping them in the public eye or there's the risk they'll become forgotten. I'm wondering if Toyota UK had a change of management in 2010 as things just seem to have gone downhill since then (apart from an increase in warranty period) and prices up.

17. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is that an asian carp?
    Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

18. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The notion of what is and isn't crap is very much in the eye of the beholder and the circumstance. Aside from the fact that UK models are usually not exactly the same as they are US - build quality, standard equipment levels and engines - there is very little need in the UK for vehicles designed to travel hundreds of miles whilst providing luxury cruiser comfort. British roads (English in particular) are heavily congested, average journeys MUCH shorter, parking (not just at home, but also town and city centres) in short supply. The majority of consumers there need personal transport of an entirely different variety than they do in the US.

For most people in the UK, a car is a luxury. In the US, with very little public transport infrastructure outside the major conurbations, the car is a necessity.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's koi to you sir.:)

i'm not talking size, i'm talking quality. i know nothing about vauxhall, but if ford can beat toyota and honda at there own game, why not bring it to the states?

#79 bisco, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2014
  20. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's quality I'm talking about as much as size. Ford beat Honda and Toyota because they offer vehicles which are well equipped at better prices - all else being equal, it's hardly surprising that they have a dominant position in that market. I think they also adapt to changing circumstances better. When fuel prices there went through a brisk series of rises in the mid 90's, Ford were first to market with a 'city' car (the Ka) which despite being small, had lots of space and was very comfortable. Vauxhall (the UK's wing of GM), Toyota, Honda and the rest were slow to catch up. Ford used that lead to successfully leverage other models.

Manufacturers in general can't just bring their European, Australian, far-eastern or even South American models to the US because of regulatory differences. It's cheaper to build US-specific models to comply with US regulations and the market here. I see that trend is beginning to change a little now that lead times for design of new vehicles is decreasing, but even when body styles are the same, it's often very different under the hood.