1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has Toyota fallen out of love with the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by GrumpyCabbie, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't think anyone's even got close, in their main game, namely a straight "hybrid" vehicle. There's plug-ins and pure electrics, but they bring another level of complexity, compromises, limited range.

2. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While that's true, it isn't really the point. It's a question of what the consumer sees as available choices. When Toyota's hybrid system was first explained on the BBC's Tomorrow's World, there was nothing like it. When the Prius went on sale, if the consumer wanted a truly fuel efficient car, there was only the Prius. Then along came the newer generation diesels which in markets (such as Europe) where they were viable, could get close to Prius MPG. Then along came hybrids of varying types from other manufacturers that were viable, if not as fuel efficient alternatives. Then plug-in and electric variants which, for those commuting within EV range could better the Prius.

As technologies have broadened, it has squeezed the Pius into a narrowing group of potential buyers. In the UK, where new car prices are abnormally high, that band is even further narrowed.

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Every car has compromises. The Prius has its share, although most are around the comfort and performance areas.
    As for complexity, a hybrid is far more complex than a BEV. Which just shows how great a job Toyota engineers did with it.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They do have a hybrid Corolla. It's called the Auris (they changed the name from Corolla to Auris last generation in 2006)

5. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I disagree, as it's been pointed out here that other Toyota hybrids are selling very well in the UK and the price of the Prius is way out of line compared to the Lexus CT200h

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  6. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Apologies for my sloppy phrasing - I specifically meant the UK Prius rather than Toyota's UK hybrid range as a whole.

7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think this link blows the currency problems as a reason for the Prius being overly expensive in the UK;

BBC News - Toyota raises full-year profit forecast

"Japan's biggest car manufacturer, Toyota, has raised its full-year profit forecast by 12.4%, citing a weaker yen and cost cutting efforts."

8. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think what demonstrates it is not a currency problem is that if it were, ALL Toyota prices - indeed, the price of all cars imported from Japan - would suffer the same fate. Likewise, the fact that not all Toyota prices are impacted means it is also not a simple issue of Toyota's profit margin overall.

Pricing of UK Prius models is clearly a consequence of Toyota UK's pricing 'strategy'.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree. Either they're trying to send TMC a message (look, we don't appreciate the higher cost, here's the result of lower sales) or they have some other plan in mind. When the Gen 3 was launched, the prices were lowered in the U.S. and Canada but substantially increased in Australia and I think it also went up a bit in the UK.

10. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The gen3 was pretty much the same cost as the outgoing gen2 - at first. A year later in 2010 we had the recall shenanigans, Toyota increased their warranty across their range to show confidence in their product and then year on year the cost of the Prius has risen and sales have fallen.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Everytime gas prices go down, yes they do.

Seems that HSD does not equate to much fun: Even the 2015 CamHy SE getting mixed reviews due to tepid drivetrain.

Maybe the 4th gen HSD / TNGA will bring more driving fun to these things, maybe not.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think the fun factor is a major part of the buying publics decision making process. no doubt it is for some people, but for the top 10 best selling cars, it's about cheap, reliable, functional transportation.

13. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't believe USA sales back that up.

10 Best-Selling Vehicles of 2014...So Far - Kelley Blue Book

If you take out pickup trucks, the top selling cars this year, through August, are the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.

While these cars aren't luxury cars, they do have more comfort and performance than the some less expensive, more efficient alternatives.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    trust me, there's zero fun factor in a camry.:cool: and it's about as cheap, reliable and functional as they come. i won't speak for the accord or civic, as their fan boys find them all kind of fun.

15. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Fun" may not be a requirement, but the Prius goes the other way. A car shouldn't be painful to drive, and trying to get a Prius up to 60 mph on an uphill entrance ramp is painful. Yes, the car will do it, but with the pedal 3/4 of the way to the floor the engine is screaming at redline (not in a pleasant way) and the battery is charging. Flooring it produces a noticeable increase in acceleration as it draws from the battery instead of charging it, but there is no change in the engine note to go along with it. This is *very* disconcerting.

Compare that to the Taurus wagon we used to have with the ancient pushrod V-6. Slower than a Prius but the engine sounded surprisingly racy when revved. It worked hard to get up to speed but it sounded reasonably good doing it. The Taurus seemed to enjoy accelerating even if it wasn't very good at it. The Prius just says "stop hurting me".

That said, the fact that acceleration isn't fun is probably why I easily beat the EPA mileage.

16. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Define 'fun'.

As many European knows, fun is hammering a small hatchback 1.0 litre car through the manual gearbox, to an inch of it's life. It's not fast, it's not fast at all, but it's fun that puts a smile on your face. Think of the original mini or original Fiat 500, or even an early 70's MG.

You'd still get good mpg's despite the fun too.

tpenny67 likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ouch, i've never had a painful experience in my prius in ten years. but to each his own. good luck finding a powerful car that gets 50mpg!(y)

tpenny67 likes this.
  18. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah, you mean like this:

To me, fun also includes an element of predictability, so that the car responds to inputs as you expect. I haven't quite figured out the Prius yet. It's almost fun when the battery is full and it accelerates well with minimal engine RPM. Other times it just drones and goes nowhere.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess manufacturers could just tune the exhaust note or do what appears to be the trend today and pump artificial noise into the cabin (like the BMW M4 or Ford Fiesta ST).

My smart fortwo had a really nice exhaust sound when revved above 3,000rpm, with the engine and exhaust sitting right behind you, it was a pleasant surprise. Those who haven't heard it may think I'm exaggerating but in all honesty, it sounded like a BMW inline 6 (or dare I say a Porsche but just not as loud and not as powerful of course). If Mercedes can make the fortwo sound nice under hard acceleration, I'm sure Toyota could if they wanted to but I highly doubt it's a concern to most owners outside of PriusChat.

tpenny67 likes this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or inside.:cool: