1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has Toyota fallen out of love with the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by GrumpyCabbie, Nov 1, 2014.

1. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Engine noise has a subliminal effect. Check out this link: Sound of sports car engine 'arouses women' - Telegraph

"The roar of a luxury car engine does cause a primeval physiological response."

He added the sound of an average car engine actually led to a decreased level of testosterone.
    p.s., just googled BMW active sound, fascinating stuff. Never heard of that before.

#121 tpenny67, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I test drove a slightly used 2014 Accord Sport 4 dr CVT and a 2015 Camry Hybrid SE last night. I've a bad habit of buying cars that don't excite me if even just a little (i.e. Prius)

People buy Accords cause they are comfortable, reliable, look great and are pleasure to drive. They draw lot of modification junkies and tuners, especially Civics.
    New gen Accords are the best ever. Our 2005 is nice to drive but little noisy inside. Dr. seat travel bit limited in 2005, better now, but Camry wins on generous driver seat travel.

Camrys cheaper than Accords, but shows in driving quality, design and materials. Toyota does awfully good for the price and they are tops in reliability.

I think Prius has lots of potential to be great all around. It's only a 3rd gen car which is up against 9th gen Accord and 8th? Camry

Accord Sport ride quality felt so good for a car of that price: planted to the road, stable, confidence inspiring, smooth. Plays a factor into people's decision. Also quiet inside. Seat felt good, wide, nice shape and 10 way power, with tilt capability.

Obviously 4 door sedans are America's favorite and I don't know about you, but I see new gen Accord LX and Sports everywhere.

From cold start, we went 12 miles ended up with 32.3 MPG on gage on Accord Sport.

Camry Hybrid SE didn't seem as smooth: had more of disconnectied steering feel, cheap polyester in seat fabric was offputting although switching from jeans to khakis might help. Car was ok, but did not drive or feel as nice as Accord. But, we ended about 7 miles and were up to 40.x on gage. I'm sure it could go much higher.

#122 cycledrum, Nov 7, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bisco you know the Camry Hybrid is much more powerful than Prius and it can get near 50 MPG too. I'd think Accord hybrid much the same.

But, of course wont' get 50 MPG while hammering throttle all the time.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, i meant epa. i get almost 70 in the pip, i couldn't accomplish that in the hycam. when i make comparisons, i like to use spa, even though it's often inaccurate, it can't really be argued with. i see a lot of accords around here, but i wouldn't know one model from another. let's hope honda decides to go mainstream hybrid some day!

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The quote from the article is odd. Usually luxury cars are quiet.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Heard that. At the Honda dealer last night, sales manager made it clear Accord Hybrid in limited supply, they don't discount it much and he sort of steered me away from it.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they probably want to prove the longevity and reliability to themselves, before they jump into the deep end of the pool, after being burned by the civic and insight II.

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This might be another nail in the UK Prius coffin;

Even the Nissan Leaf is selling MORE cars than the Prius!

Leaf sales Jan-Jun 14 (only figures released): 1,712
    Prius sales same period: 1,361
    Lexus CT200h: 2,182

Projected annual sales;
    Leaf: 3,424
    Prius: 2,722
    Lexus CT200h: 4,364

NISSAN LEAF (model family) - How Many Left?
    TOYOTA PRIUS (model family) - How Many Left?
    LEXUS CT 200 (model family) - How Many Left?

Anyone work for Toyota Global who knows what the heck is going on with Toyota UK?

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

tpenny67 likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you must have said something that really upset them.:cool:

11. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    AFAIK, the first Aygo had the 1KR-FE equipped, the same 1.0 3-inline as the Yaris, of good reputation and was awarded some prizes.
    Also I think this engine equipped the first gen 107/C1, from which PSA developed its own 1.0 and 1.2. And from my HPOV, this small urban car is the best product in-class of the PSA line up...
    It is a cheap car, with a honest fit. Recently only the Up! has made some competition, and the first Aygo held 9 years...

12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Oh the new Peugeot version is the best of the lot. But the Aygo isn't a Toyota. Or maybe it's a cultural thing? Toyotas have been sold in the UK since the mid 60's and gained much popularity in the 70's and 80's, but Japanese cars were never popular in many parts of Europe, and still aren't. So it appears they've Europeanised Toyotas, but potentially at the expense of sales in the more established European markets like the UK?

13. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some interior parts of the C1 show that Toyota has influenced a lot the 3-car project. And believe me, I know some Citroens C2 and C3, both beg for cabin quality (materials, manufacturing, squeeks), while the C1 keeps a good ageing.
    Combined with the engine I've just wrote about, it was a win-win situation...