1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has Toyota lost its way?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Butaketsu, Dec 2, 2018.

1. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    On the oil consumption issue...once a Prius starts consuming oil it usually has a very long life left...provided the oil is checked and topped up properly. Some here treat oil consumption as a death sentence even though it really isn't at all. :whistle:

As for personal experience, our 2010 liftback consumes oil and 'only' has 110K miles on it. Our 2012 v (wagon) has 140K miles on it and consumes 'no' oil. So it's not like every Prius is destined to consume. (y)

Like another post said...you tend to hear mostly about problems folks are having in forums like this. This is as it should be. There has been some incredible work done by members here to diagnose and solve problems that Toyota won't even admit to ( EGR clogging, catch can, etc... )

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If oil consumption is the worst problem you have to deal with, your money ahead;).

Our 2010 with 192 k miles consumes about a quart every 5 k miles or so. I just check it every Saturday along with the installed oil catch can and top up as needed:).

I’ll take that over other cars every day of the week (y).

3. Butaketsu

Butaketsu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Guess I should update this. We picked up a 2019 HyCam this past Saturday and I took it to work yesterday after 150 or so miles of city driving, which is where the fuel guage needle finally started to drop. I thought the evaporative system was broken with an overfill.

Needless to say, this this car runs in Prius territory when it's decent outside! Only got ~41MPG on the way home as it was 55*F out and the drive back home is more uphill. Average would be around 48MPG sitting around 78mph.

Very happy with it.

Attached Files:

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    someone here has had one for a year or so and lifetime average around 50mpg in colder climate.

which package did you get?

5. Butaketsu

Butaketsu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Grabbed the LE for the Li-ion and best fuel economy. Since i've posted this i've been able to get around 63MPG, same speed, just different timing of coasting and what not. Drive home at freezing temps still only yields 40-42MPG, it's all uphill going home.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice!
    40 mpg in a camry in winter uphill is nothing to sneeze at!(y)

i can't wait to move my wife from her 2013 into a new one. how are the deals?

mrlebop and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is any of this a real problem?
    Judging from the vehicles the OP has owned and does own, judging from the choices on the table, I'm speculating that the OP has the financial means to buy new automobiles.

No choice, is going to be perfect, or come with a 1/2 million mile guarantee. In the automotive world however, Toyota, Toyota products, and specifically Prius, have pretty good reliability reputations.

What you want? Is up to you however. If it's the most fuel efficient return on a Hybrid with a Prius? or Whether it's the more potentially more comfortable drive of Hybrid Camry, or whether it's something entirely different...that's simply a choice you have to make for yourself.

It's hard to offer an opinion, when you're looking at purchasing two cars, with a seeming much in flux series of desires and concerns about either of them.

Personally? The internet, automotive websites, owners forums, are absolutely fantastic for gaining knowledge about a potential vehicle and potential ownership experience. But I have yet to research any vehicle that didn't garner some negative posts from some owners.
    If you are going to be thrown off, by things as simple as recommended oil viscosity, and perhaps needing to buy a specialized oil wrench? Then I don't know what to tell you. Reading the original post, it just seems what you want...isn't settled.

I would venture to say, I think a new Prius, or a New Camry Hybrid, or both in tandem are good choices. Toyota has become one of the worlds largest automakers based on the fact that they sell vehicles that owners feel they get good value from.
    I wouldn't guarantee or feign to guarantee how long any particular vehicle is likely to last. But well maintained "Toyotas" have the reputation of returning excellent reliability. In that manner in no way do I think Toyota has lost their way.

If the vehicle fails before reaching 1/2 a million miles? Well, at that point....you get to look for a new vehicle.

SFO likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Is Mrs. Bisco looking to upgrade :whistle:?

How many miles you got on the HyCam?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, she loves her car. about 50k, but i wouldn't mind a new ride to florida every winter, and 55mpg or so.

she'd probably go along with it if the deal were right.

mrlebop and Raytheeagle like this.
  10. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Looks like a lot of choices coming as far as vehicles equipped with versions of Toyota's HSD.

Prius, Prius AWD-e, HyCam, Rav 4, Corolla Hybrid....not to mention a Subaru variant. Seems like a very good strategy for Toyota. That is, roll out existing, proven, tech to other vehicles. In my view, the Prius was/is nothing more than a 'test' vehicle to 'perfect' the HSD system.

Personally, I think the Prius AWD-e looks really interesting. I want someone to buy one and give us more info. :whistle: From the reviews I've read the rear motor also gives it a little 'boost' from a stop...which seems beneficial.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    depends on sales numbers. hycam and hyava have not done well. i hope they don't discontinue them.

they need to get the price similar to non hybrid, due to higher repair costs and problematic technology

12. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It’s probably very similar to the hyhi or RX450h platform AWD;).

Nice setup and if you can lop off 1 Ton of weight, it’ll be very good for mpg:).

My avatar pic is the best I could do in the RX450h:cool:.

Not bad for moving 3 tons(y).

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a good possibility they've nixed the temp spare to accomodate the 4WD. :(

They don't come right out and say it, but the pictures and descriptions hint at this.

14. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    From the diagrams it certainly looks like no spare will be included. However, you are correct...I can't find any direct info about it yet.

BTW...the hybrid battery location for all Gen4 models (excluding Prime of course) is under the rear seat...correct?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base