1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hatch door handle breaking off - need replacement part

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jpillmore, Jun 6, 2012.

1. jpillmore

jpillmore New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

My 2007 Prius's trunk handle is coming off - Two of the plastic support arms broke off of the right side of the entire horizontal panel that holds the camera and release button. I can "pop" it back into place but it needs to be replaced soon.

Seems like it would be an easy DIY job but I can't find any replacement parts for the panel. Any one know where I can look?

Thanks so much!
    Jess

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Jess,

You might look at the parts website for Champion Toyota, Houston. toyotaworld.com

Then find the body parts catalog for your model year Prius and you may be able to find the hatch "back door garnish", which I believe can be ordered in the correct body color for your car.

May I suggest that you not think of the back door garnish as a "trunk handle", so that the replacement will last longer.

I have previously posted on how to remove and replace the hatch opening switch, in case you would like info on how to remove the back door garnish which contains that switch, the license plate lights, and the camera.

Ecochic Kat likes this.
  3. jpillmore

jpillmore New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you so much. I did find it there under "lift gate trim" w/ or w/o smart key as options. This is great. And thanks for the heads up on how to do it. I will search for that now in the forum. Really appreciate it.

And yes, I completely get the tip about it being a trim/garnish and not a handle... I get it a little too late, ha ha ha, but I get it. I'll pass it on to my rambunctious family, too.

4. kingair157

kingair157 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Patrick,
    Can you provide a link to the instructions you describe?
    Thanks,
    Dan

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hmmm, I recall seeing 2nd gen Prius taxis running around w/broken (what I believe to be) trunk garnishes. They usually tape them up to keep them together. I hope mine holds up until I sell/trade in mine.

7. kingair157

kingair157 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the link Patrick

Our hatch garnish is a bit loose. Has anyone else had experience replacing or repairing the garnish. The little black square above the hatch release.
    Thank you,
    Dan

8. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Dan,

If the loose item is the square black Smart switch, you can tighten the hardware holding it in place after you remove the garnish. "Garnish" is the body color plastic piece that contains the license plate lighting. My cited link shows how to remove that.

9. zipppychick

zipppychick New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,
    Dealership wants $320 for the liftgate trim and $185 for the installation.
    Trademotion.com (toyota world) sells the part for $246 plus shipping. ouch on all fronts for a piece that is just plain poorly designed.

Our lift gate trim snapped completely off yesterday in frigid temperatures while the liftgate was unexpectedly in some sort of electronic lockdown mode- with dashboard lights and power button all off/malfunctioning also. I am asking Toyota to replace it for me along with sending me an extension on my combination meter warranty to be replaced which apparently caused the other malfunctions and led to the liftgate trim's ultimate and complete failure. Will keep Priuschat posted on my results....

10. Highway

Highway Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found it for $106.92 at parts on line, plus shipping. Just ordered it.

11. connorwes

connorwes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Highway, where did you find that item? I would love to find that deal as well.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you can glue back the broken parts

13. boone

boone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The thing is, if that's not the handle, what is? This just broke completely free on my '05. Sure, it lasted 9 years, but it seems a poor design. And the replacement cost is ludicrous - I'm seeing $250 bucks for a few oz. of plastic. I'm going to try superglue first.

Aranthon and NoSpam like this.
  14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    super glue will not work. There is an all purpose glue you can buy. It's made from 2 ingredients that you mix together, loctite and other brands, all the same stuff.

15. AVJ

AVJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly - if I don't use this as a handle, then opening the trunk becomes a 2-handed operation: hold the latch depressed with one hand as I lift from under the edge of the hatch with the other. That's seriously bad engineering.

I know it takes two hands because since breaking most of the tabs holding my garnish/trim/whatever on (and using duct tape to keep things in place until I get around to dealing with it), that's what I have to do. And I also know from experience that this is HIGHLY impractical as a large % of the time you're opening the back you have something in one if not both hands - and putting it on the ground until you have both hands free, besides being a pain, doesn't work when the ground's wet or dirty and that matters.

Aranthon and NoSpam like this.
  16. kingair157

kingair157 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I "fixed" ours using washers and kind of jamming them in behind where the two center plastic fasteners broke off.

Knowing it was loose we babied ours for a couple of years. This fix should last a while as we use the two hand method to open the hatchback.

It is more secure now than it has been for a while.

NoSpam likes this.
  17. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I use the hatch almost every day, that's where I put my work bag during the week and on most weekends we put luggage back there. 130K miles and 9 years later, it is as solid as the day it was made. Hardly a "defect". More like usual wear and tear. Plastic doesn't last forever, but it does last a long time. The few oz of plastic in there are very cheap, but unless you are 3D printing it yourself and the only cost is material, you will pay more than the cost of a few ounces of plastic.

18. Lord Joe

Lord Joe New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi Jess:
    The plastic can be repaired in 2 or 3 steps:
    1. superglue the broken plastic back together to hold the bolts at the right angle,
    2. cut a couple of strips of aluminum shim (not tape) about 1/4 inch wide and about 3 inches long, smear thick "Automotive Goop" on the relative surfaces and wrap the aluminum strips around so they'll hold the broken parts in place when hardened. it's messy anyway but it can be less so if you shape the parts w/ pliers before you put glue on them. Goop cleans up w/ gasoline or thinner. Leave it over night. When it gets solid, press the aluminum into closer contact with the plastic & bolts using a screwdriver and push more goop into any open spaces w/ your fingers. If you want it to NEVER break again, (good luck) use several layers that extend farther away from the bolts to spread the stress over a larger area.
    3. the thickness of the aluminum will make the trunk handle set slightly farther away from the door when the bolts are tightened, so before you remount it, lightly dent around the bolt holes in the door w/ a small hammer so the holes will be slightly recessed from the outside, by about the thickness of the aluminum (<1/16 inch). it matters.

reinforced-plastic.jpg

good luck :)

#18 Lord Joe, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    NoSpam likes this.
  19. ijim2011

ijim2011 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I simply replaced the plastic snaps with bolts and it has since stayed in place.

NoSpam likes this.
  20. Scott McGregor

Scott McGregor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I repaired my 2005's dangling hatch a year ago. More solid that OEM now. If you take off the parts you can see the plastic that breaks from use. Just drill a new hole next to it and put the bolt through the new hole. Super easy.

NoSpam likes this.