1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hatch floor cargo anti-slide

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, May 26, 2007.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I am always irritated when I buy stuff and the new shiny cardboard boxes slide around on the carpet as I drive home. A net is useful, but heavier boxes will still move. So I came up with this fix.

I purchased tool box "anti-rattle - anti-slide" mesh. It's a nylon fine net coated in rubber. Often used in motorhomes as well to stop dishes etc. from rattling while on the road. I got a roll at Sears in the tool department, but many places sell it. It's even used to hold the work when "routing".

In the anti-Prius (2001 Pathfinder), I just had a carpet in the back, so I just cut a piece 6" wider than the carpet and folded the ends under the carpet to hold it in place. Worked fine.

With Pearl (my 2007 Prius), this wouldn't work, because the floor is often opened or even removed (already, even though I've only had it for a day)! So I came up with the following solution. I installed #4 pan head sheet metal screws on the underside of the floor. You have to mark the edges of the "tray" and stay inside them or the screws will hold the floor up. I put in six screws on each side. Nothing needed on the front or back.
    Then I stretched the mesh over the floor (removed from car) and hooked the mesh on the screws, so it wouldn't wrinkle. You can see on the picture I need to redo a little, but it's easy, the mesh just hooks over the screws. The angles of the sides of the floor caused extra material that convieniantly ended up at the hinge. You need extra material there so you can still lift up the back part. I wanted it removeable so I could clean the carpet as needed.

I attach a photo of the bottom and top of the "meshed" floor.

[attachmentid=8351]
    [attachmentid=8352]

Attached Files:

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Very good idea! I put some of the non-slip pad down without tacking it as you did. It works fine at keeping things from sliding, but when I pick up a box, it frequently shifts the mat and I have to smooth it down all the time. Your method would put an end to that problem.

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sometimes I put my spider net down and things on top of it, rather than underneath. It's nylon net so there may still be a little sliding, but all in all things pretty much stay put. And since it hooks on to the in place loops, there's no additional mods needed.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've removed the floor in my Prius and put a piece of commercial grade carpet that I cut to shape into the bottom of the plastic cargo tray. It looks decent, dulls rattles, and adds a lot of storage space.