1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hatch Gets Stuck? Clicking Noise When Braking?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by blumenla, May 23, 2013.

1. blumenla

blumenla Spontaneous Adventurer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So I've my Prius C2 for about 4 months now. Sometimes, when I want to get into my back hatch and I know the doors are unlocked, I cannot get it open, like I have to really yank it open to make it work. Something like suction cupping together, does anyone else have this problem is it only me?

Also, when I brake about half the time, there is a clicking/ticks kind of noise, like 1-5 clicks as the car slows to a stop, does this happen to anyone?

2. cknfts

cknfts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I've noticed this issue... but only when the car is locked. I hit the button and it unlocks the doors... I have to wait a second for it to refresh and then it will open the door. That's what you get with an electronic switch though.

4. Christian

Christian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    yep same here i have to yank the hatch to be opened. if i close and reopen it open easily after that

5. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The hatch thing happens to me, too. I assumed it was the rubber seal sticking because it's new/clean, or maybe because it rained recently.

Haven't experienced the clicking brake thing.

6. maddog61

maddog61 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no problems with hatch or brake sounds..... just dash rattle and rubbing noises..... get brakes checked

TC400 likes this.
  7. sonicfox

sonicfox New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I just noticed my brakes clicking the other day. I have a bit over 1,100 miles on the car. It doesn't matter the speed...it can even be parked. It's every time I press the brake pedal, it happens. It's quiet, but it's enough to bother me. I also hear a mechanical buzz after braking a few times, but that's been happening since I bought the car. The dealer said this buzz is normal. Hmmm. I will take the car in to the dealership soon to see what this clicking is about.

8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The buzz is normal. Hydraulic pump re-energizing. Not sure about the clicking.

9. sonicfox

sonicfox New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just a quick update about the clicking noise from my brakes. I took the car to the dealer, and they said it was the actuator and the noise was normal. He gave me an odd look when I told him that noise wasn't there when it was new. Oh, well. So far, the brakes are functioning normally, so I'm not going to worry about it. I'm still not convinced this sound is "normal" though.

10. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    For the hatch, I think it's power assisted. There's a rubber area under the handle, touching that cause the hatch to open without much force.

11. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four

o_O huh? The hatch isn't assisted... just has gas shocks.

12. HotDogWater

HotDogWater Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The lock is power assisted

13. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same issue with the hatch on my v. My previous car was a Honda fit which i owned for 4.5 years and 200,000km which never had an issue with the hatch sticking.
    I wonder if it has anything to do with the hatch being made of aluminum?? Does Prius c have aluminum hatch and hood?
    Aluminum has higher thermal conductivity than steel, perhaps sitting in the hot sun it holds more heat than the surrounding steel body panels and bonds more easily to the rubber seal, making it stick like it does when trying to open it on a hot summers day. Just a theory, I'm no rocket scientist, just a welder. ;)

14. Species5618w

Species5618w Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    It might just unlocked the door (although it shouldn't be locked), but touching the rubber would cause the door to pop open a bit, much like a regular trunk. If I close it, then the gate would not come back up again for 3 secs.

15. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    it's electronic trigger, kinda like a corvette. :)