1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hatch-mounted Thule bike rack out of the question?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Braddles.au, Oct 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Braddles.au

Braddles.au DEFAnitely using an EBH

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Thule Raceway 3 bike rack on my Prius 30. It hooks to the top and bottom of the hatch.
    The top of the Prius 50 hatch is glass.
    I suppose hooking a rack onto glass is out of the question?
    Thule doesn't include the ZVW50 on its 'find my car' feature, but that might not be an indication.

2. Braddles.au

Braddles.au DEFAnitely using an EBH

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I've answered my own question.
    On the Thule Buyer's Guide if 'Rear' is selected for Mount Locations, under Select my car the link "I can't find my car on the list" appears.

Select your car
    To get a recommended Thule product, you need to supply your car information – make, year, and model.

The list only shows cars that have been successfully tested with a Thule carrier. If you cannot find your car in the list it is likely due to one of the following reasons:

• your car has a plastic/weak/large spoiler
    • your car has a plastic/glass or a divided rear door
    • the car manufacturer does not allow the use of rear door-mounted carriers on this car
    • your car is very new to the market (available for less than six months)
    Please read the fit tips carefully for restrictions on spoilers etc.

As a Mythbuster might say, "there's yer problem."

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Get a hitch installed and a hitch mount rack. I see lots of Pris w/ a hitch, obviously they aren't towing anything.

RCO likes this.
  4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Site that sells Gen3 Trailer Hitch. 2010 Toyota Prius Trailer Hitch - Draw-Tite
    Looks like Draw-Tite makes a custom fit trailer hitch for a Gen3.

Uhaul sells & installs trailer hitches too. I'm sure they can order one for a Gen3; if they don't already carry it.

Yakima Hitch mount bike racks.
    Activity

5. Smokymb

Smokymb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just put a hitch on my Gen 4. Got it off a website called "etrailer", which I have used for years. Its from Hidden Hitch, cost $89, and there is a video on the website installing the hitch on a 2016 Prius. Took a couple of hours, but it turned out nice. Plugged a bike rack in, but the car would automatically apply the brakes after moving inches in reverse. My car has the tech package that includes sonar sensors for multiple safety systems and it took a while to figure out which one to disable. Turns out the ICS (Intelligent Clearance System, which is active during parking and low speed) must be disabled n order to back up. I would include photos, but am a rookie and can't figure out how to add media.

RCO likes this.