1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hatch not latched kills battery --- how can I prevent?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Johnny Cakes, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    By design, I have a lot of stuff near my rear hatch and sometimes I don't seem to get the hatch fully closed. It's latched, won't open, looks closed, but its not -- and the dash "door open" indicator confirms that its not fully latched.

Over the years, I have run the battery down to the point where the car won't start several times this way -- hatch is latched, won't open, and looks/feels closed, but isn't fully closed. In fact, its the only way I've ever run the battery down.

I try to be extremely careful and vigilant about getting a good solid close, but apparently one out of a thousand times I don't. Usually at the worst possible moment, of course.

My interior lights are set so that they do not go on when the doors/hatch are open. With the hatch open, the car is as dark as it is when the hatch is closed. There is no outward indication of any power drain when the hatch is open -- but of course, there is.

Two questions:

First, what is "on" with the hatch open that puts a load on the battery?

Second -- the $25,000 question -- is there a "work around" so that the car always "thinks" that the hatch is closed, even when its ajar a bit, and thus doesn't put a load the battery. Disconnect some wire, bridge some wire connection, something/anything so that the hatch still works, but the car always thinks its closed and thus doesn't run down the battery.

PLEASE: No replies saying just make sure its shut, check the dash for the "door open" indicator, don't be so stupid, or stuff like that. Looking for a possible work-around. I already know I'm stupid for this happening multiple times!!

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Disconnect the latch-open wire from the latch?

Then of course you also won't have the theft alarm sounding if someone enters through the hatch, or the hatch-ajar light to warn you before you drive off. But you could try it and see if it reduces your battery drain.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been having the same problem, but in my case the rear latch is screwed up... But combined with covid, I'm having to charge my 12v often. So tonight, if I finally stop procrastinating I'll find a way to fix the latch and I'll also try to find a way to bypass that sensor, just in case I can't fix the latch and maybe you'll be able to do something similar with you much newer Prius version?

4. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Any idea where that is and characteristics? I understand the downsides you mention and happily accept them.

5. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    On my 2012 PiP, it was part of the latch mechanism, the part that the hatch fastens to. You can fool it by using a stick or something to push the latch into the closed position, just imitate what the metal loop on the hatch would do. I had a vague desire to go down in there and install a defeat switch so I could drive long things around without the car complaining. Sold the car first though. I would forget to manipulate it back into the open position when I unloaded and then the latch wouldn't connect, because it was already latched.

I expect that there are two power wires (to lock and unlock) and two sensor wires but did not take the car apart enough to see.

PriusCamper likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Could be one sensor wire that gets grounded to the body when the latch is open.