1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hatch not Unlocking/releasing

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CSuirp, Feb 12, 2019.

1. CSuirp

CSuirp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all. I have a 2014 prius c keyless start, 55k. The hatch sometimes doesnt open from the outside. This usually is happening on cold days/nights and in snowy weather. I have the keys on me and i push the little button under hatch to unlock but nothing...not even a sound of the electric trying to disengage the lock. Silence with a jammed hatch. I tried the unlock button on key fob...nothing. Sometimes the car is running and i close the doors then go to open hatch and same problem. Happens with car on or off. No weird sounds coming from hatch when car is on. Again...happens in cold weather and snow. Anyone having/had this issue and a remedy? Defect/recall by toyota? If hatch mechanism needs replacing, would toyota dealership repair for free?

2. frenzee

frenzee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Had that happen to me after I replaced the license plate illumination bulbs with LEDs. Turned out to be a slightly loose connector. Open the hatch, if you can and remove the fabric cover. Your should be able to see the lock mechanism, harness and connector. Reach in, unplug it, put a dab of electrical grease on the contact points for good measure, re-seat it and report back.

3. CSuirp

CSuirp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Interestingly enough i too changed the license plate bulbs to LED and i bet it started after i did that. I'll get the electrical grease and follow ur advice. I'll report back after. Thanks!!

4. Roqu3

Roqu3 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I have a C 2019 and my problem is quite the opposite, after locking the car the hatch won't stay locked I can open it without having the key on me, it just opens, I found that by accident, any chance on what could be?