1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hatch struts available at FLAPS?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by romad, Jan 2, 2013.

1. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Base Former Owner (Sold 13 May 22)

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need to replace these on my 2004 as they are weakening after 8 years; been meaning to do it since last summer. Can I get replacements at my FLAPS or are they a Toyota-only item? I'm asking because on another vehicle, I could not get the strut from a FLAPS due to the length not being a standard length with the proper connectors. My options are AutoZone & O'Reilly's, so if anyone has been able to purchase the struts at either of these, what can I expect to pay?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A few options: 1) Go to a junkyard and match up some struts from non-prius vehicles... 2) Some interesting post on here regarding dampeners/struts for the front hood and in those threads are links to companies that make very inexpensive one in almost every size: Google 3) Contact autobeyours.com

3. romad

romad 2004 Prīus Base Former Owner (Sold 13 May 22)

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, you are saying that they are NOT available locally except at the Toyota dealer?

4. bstephens

bstephens Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, they are available at O'Reillys, but they may be a special order. I recently replaced mine on my 2006. But after seeing the price O'Reilly wanted, I purchased the same thing on Amazon for a lot less, $59 I believe for both. I used the "stabilus" brand. And by the way, they are called "lift supports", using that will make the search easier. Installation is really simple.

5. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've used this brand on my other cars... they're quality struts and the price is great. Can't really be beat!