1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hatch/window mounted bike rack recommendations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Scott Lunt, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Scott Lunt

Scott Lunt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    In all my reading of the PC forums, I have yet to see a good thread on hatch-mounted bike racks. Lots of talk about roof racks and tow-hitch-style racks, but not much specifically about inexpensive rear-mounted racks that go on the window/hatchback and FIT on the Prius (mine is a 2006). I'm looking for one like this that I can keep inside the car when not in use, preferably small enough to be stowed away in the hidden compartment above the spare tire. Roof racks and hitch racks are just too involved for my occasional usage. However, I don't want just any window-mounted rack - it has to actually fit with no damage to the paint.

Any recommendations? Inexpensive but sturdy is best. I'll be carrying one or two road bikes for occasional outings.

2. Scott Lunt

Scott Lunt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    here's a possibility from Hollywood Racks -

3. OGGIE50

OGGIE50 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm planning on adding a Tow hitch with a 1 1/4" bike rack as i want full access to my hatch and don't want to scratch up my bumper.

4. Scott Lunt

Scott Lunt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The problem for me with a tow hitch is that I can't keep the rack with the car at all times. Since I park on the street in DC, I don't want something people can steal.

5. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been using this rack for years and love it. It has never scratched the car.

Saris

Attached Files:

6. araslessoc

araslessoc New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's interesting. When I went to the Saris website - it told me this rack would NOT work for my car. I have a 2013 Prius II. What's up with that?

7. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    could be the spoiler is longer on gen III

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No, my Saris rack fits better on the gen-3 than it did on the gen-2. Who knows why they don't say it will fit.

And note that some hitch racks offer the ability to lock in place... which is quite handy for securing both the rack and the bikes.