1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hatch wont open

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by JcKaz, Jul 26, 2021.

1. JcKaz

JcKaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok I see tons posts just saying replace the button or just use the manual inside release but I am trying to troubleshoot my 2015 Toyota Prius. Just started yesterday I work for Uber and this guy was headed to the airport tried to open my trunk and I thought he was playing dumb like most of my customers but come to find out it wouldn't open. I have checked many forums and tried 1. Had the battery checked and was told it is running perfect. 2. Tried a different Keyfob 3. Tried the manual release and while yes it opens it wont open from the outside. 4. I checked the fuses all are good 5. Unplugged and plugged back in the hatch latch and while I did make the car not recognize the fact the hatch was open as the lights didn't come on inside and the car still was able to lock when you can't normally lock it with any doors open. (via manual lever) After unplugging it and plugging it back in it recognized it again. 6. The button on the hatch still locks and unlocks my car so it's not gunked up.

I am currently out of ideas and Toyota is making me wait 3 weeks for a appointment and I do Uber so I'd like it fixed now. I am asking before I go and buy a bunch of different parts and waste money especially since apparently my local auto stores do not carry most of the parts and tell me to go to Toyota. I am partially thinking it's the latch that holds it closed possibly but hoping someone who knows what they are talking about can give me an inside thought before I go waste money on something it might not be.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Pretty sure that the latch release is electrically operated........and that the solenoid that trips the latch is probably bad.

The ones that lock and unlock the doors certainly are a known problem area.

3. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2015 is a Generation 3

alanclarkeau likes this.
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Asking for someone on the internet "who knows what they are talking about" is a tall order especially without diagnostic information, live data or codes. It sounds like the 'open' button is working but it goes through one ecu and the latch is driven by another ecu. A good scanner might verify that signal path.

As an alternative, use a voltmeter and verify the latch power. That would isolate the problem as either a lack of control power or a failure of the electrical mechanism. The control power also goes through a relay.

If you absolutely need a guess from someone, I would vote for the latch. If you find the latch has power and ground with the open button engaged, save some money and get one from a junkyard. But you should get in there with a meter and know before you go.

TOYOTA GENUINE 6935047041 LOCK ASSY BACK DOOR 69350-47041 | eBay

Attached Files:

#4 rjparker, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's Repair Manual excerpt, troubleshooting, plus remove/install.

Attached Files:

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One really simple thing to check before getting complicated:

Are all the doors unlocked at the time of trying to open the hatch?

If you are Ubering, it might be likely that you are leaving the car powered/READY while the passenger (or you) tries to open the hatch.

The car has to be in all-unlocked state for the hatch release button to be honored.

When the car is OFF, pressing the hatch release button will cause an all-unlock event if you have the smart-key fob with you (and the car trim level has all-doors smartkey), and so you just press the button and the hatch opens.

But when the car is in READY mode, that does not happen. If the power lock system isn't in all-unlocked state (such as from you pressing the unlock button on the driver's door armrest), the hatch release button is simply ignored.

While I can't guarantee the actuator isn't worn out, I would probably check other stuff first. Often the most-used lock actuator (typically the driver's door) will be the first to wear out. The hatch is usually opened less often, though I'm sure Ubering could change that.

I'm not certain whether the hatch actuator is a solenoid or not. The door lock actuators are not; they use rotary electric motors.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Mendel that service procedure is just for the button, not the latch. The Op has verified the back switch works as it unlocks the other doors. Which also means his trim 4 vehicle has the upgraded lock unlock switch and rf antenna. He has also accessed the latch to plug and unplug.

Meter and or scanner diagnosis is a good path forward or he can just fire the parts cannon.

Attached Files:

#7 rjparker, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does the latch make a switching sound when you push it, or is it silent? If so then taking apart the latch switch would be the next step.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe this:

Attached Files: