1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hatchback hitting garage door solution!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by tsair, Apr 21, 2012.

1. tsair

tsair Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nope. Your struts are worn/not working well.

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    tsair, I figured as much...

3. BluetoothEdsel

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone have specific suggestions on the limiting strap / string options? Just got my 2014 a few weeks ago and don't really want to replace the factory hatch struts. But the parking structure at work has a lot of support beams that are too low for the open hatch. Been using my hand to guide the hatch door when I open it so it rests gently on the beam - but I'm sure one of these days I'll forget to do it and end up scraping the spoiler.

4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try some 550 Paracord from the local craft stores or eBay. It comes in many colors and patterns to look nice.

Mike

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Our 2011 hatch gas struts have gone weak this week and barely assist the opening of the hatch. Open/close several times per day, pretty much every day.

Just ordered a pair of Strongarm 6504 struts:

Extended length = 18.10
    Compressed length = 11.10
    Force (lbs) = 128

Will report back after receipt/installation.

BluetoothEdsel and m.wynn like this.
  6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Finally got a chance to install the Strongarm 6504 struts. One of the old struts totally lost pressure, you can see it was easily retracted into the shortest position. Old (compressed) strut vs. old strut:

[​IMG]

Here is a comparision of new vs. old strut. The new strut mounting points are almost 2 inches shorter than the old oem struts:

[​IMG]

The new struts are 128 lbs force, so having two of them, the hatch will lift open by itself after opening the first few inches of travel. Now, we have to arrest the hatch before it reaches the top end of travel to prevent an abrupt opening at the end to save any potential strain/damage to the hatch hinges. Closing the hatch is a bit more effort as well, compared to the worn struts (before they noticeably failed).

The struts were about $18 each, and priority shipping to Hawaii was under $8. Amazon had the struts I wanted, but for some reason, they wouldn't ship them to Hawaii. So much for Prime and free shipping. :(

Overall, I am very happy with the Strongarm 6504 struts, they offer a lower hatch opening, and good overall lifting force at 128 lbs each side. Now, I just have to remember to duck, so I don't hit my head on the open hatch. :D

#46 xliderider, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    m.wynn likes this.
  7. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I too have the height issue. Anywhere here in Toronto that would do this work for me? If not, where to order from in Canada, and how hard is the install? The pictures in the original post are now gone after all these years.

The reason why this is a concern is because some of the charging spots in the parking lot for my Plug-in Prius are where the ceiling is a bit low.

8. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    While I haven't done a Prius, I have replaced the strut lifts on other cars. it's really pretty easy and any shop should be able to do it pretty quickly if your not comfortable doing it yourself. I'm guessing you could try Canadian Tire if you are looking to pickup locally (although they may have different brands).

Eug likes this.
  9. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    OK, I'll look into there first. Thx.

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Eug likes this.
  11. BethPet

BethPet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just chipped my spoiler last weekend on a parking garage ceiling support... touched it up with a Sharpie... Made me mad, none the less.

SM-N910V ?

bisco likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

13. tsair

tsair Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    4 year update...

the new struts are pretty much done, they need to be replaced. I'm definitely going to get something in the 115 lb/in range this time. Looks like the old place I bought from has changed their name to liftsupportsdepot.com, so I'll order some from them.

Sorry the old pics are no longer visible.

14. tsair

tsair Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I ordered some new struts part # 49037S10W. Shipping is free right now on orders over $40, the struts were $37.80, so I just added a $2.50 bolt to get the free shipping. They're a little longer (18.4") than my old ones and 115 lbs/in. of force, so they should work a little better.

xliderider likes this.
  15. tsair

tsair Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The new struts work pretty well. They're a smidge too strong, although I can't remember the stock struts when they were new. But they work perfectly for my 83" tall garage door with about an inch to inch and a half of clearance.