1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hate the steering wheel 2010 Prius Gen III

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by bandito, Jul 21, 2010.

1. bandito

bandito New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I didn't really noticed this bothered me until the second day I owned the car. I had a 2007 touring before trading in for this 2010 III. The steering wheel has that silver covered parts that block the bottom part of the steering wheel. So when I drive I guess my hands rest around that silver part at the bottom of the wheel. Well that silver stuff I am afraid is going to scratch and wear off. It is very uncomfortable to drive with my hands there because it is hard and stiff. Any way to modify that?

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes: grip the wheel at the safety recommended positions of 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock.

3. bandito

bandito New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks Richard! I guess I opened the door for that one. I do drive at 10 and 2 but for those lazy driving times (I am in the car alot) I guess I grab at around 7 and 5 which I am sure most people are doing too.

So is that cheap silver stuff going to start chiping off? I am sure it will show scratches too.

4. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ooh another arizona prius buddy. yeah i agree the steering wheel is a tad bit ugly and annoying, but you get used to it. I just telescope it upwards so i can grasp the bottom easier.

5. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree
    The steering wheel should been leather wrapped

6. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    after 21K miles in a year, my silver portions still look like new with that same lazy-day 5 or 7 grip.

7. kazak

kazak New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My beef with the steering wheel is that it's not round. Whenever I make full turns, my hand expects the wheel to be "there" only to find out that I'm off by an inch or so. No biggie as I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it...or so I hope.

8. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

10 and 2 are not the recommended positions for a car with air bags.

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I love the steering wheel and think it gives the car a futuristic look. Don't worry about the silver stuff flaking off - I'm upto 27k hard miles and the silver is not wearing off at all. However, the drivers cloth door trim and center console trim are.

10. Fusionworks

Fusionworks New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1 for the non round complaint. And I wish it was both leather wrapped and a sportier feeling 3 spoke.

11. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Round is so boring. I love the elliptical wheel. It feels high tech.

12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Another lover of the elliptical wheel. It is different, just like the rest of the Prius.

13. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    hmmm, shame nobody thought that in the early 1970's when the Austin Allegro was released with a square steering wheel. I think you escaped its charms over in the US!

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Allegro]Austin Allegro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

14. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Design aesthetics aside, many sports cars have flat bottomed steering wheels because it makes for easier entry/exit without rubbing your legs on the wheel--a few examples below.

15. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The package IV and V are leather wrapped. It was another reason why I opted for the IV. GrumpyCabbie confirmed another one, which was my fear that the cloth covering on the arm rest would wear out from the driver's elbow.

16. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hate the feel of the plastic cover, that it goes all the way, looks & feels cheap.

If you tap it, while listening to a tune, it's annoying. The sound system is a huge improvement in the 2010, making finger drum beats all the more common.

I liked the steering wheel of my 2006 better.

17. Penny's Dad

Penny's Dad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just wrapped mine with the Wheelskin...Now I never touch the plastic only leather...I covered up the silver where it overlaps the wheel surface. To me the texture of the non-leather wheel is a big mistake...it feels exactly like sandpaper.

I'm ok with the funky shape....

18. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I had a 2007 Touring Edition , now the 2010 Five model, steering wheel is great, no problem at all. I hated the Black Floor Mats that clashed with the Bisque Interior of my Blizzard Pearl colored White car. What idiot would but black mats on light beige/grey carpet ? At least they used the proper mat color in the cargo area to match the carpet. Can anyone explain why Toyota decided NOT to do the same thing in the passenger area where black shows every speck of dirt, and crumb and matches nothing ? Is this one of those 'Oriental Culture' thingy's ? ? ? Is Black floor mats the choice of the " Fung Shooey " man or something, to keep out the demons ? The sales brochure for the Prius left that part out.

19. kazak

kazak New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

If I was driving any of those cars, I wouldn't half complain at all! hahahahaha.

20. Prius42

Prius42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, Hand position on the steering wheel in the era of in-wheel airbags seems to be somewhat controversial:

Where to put hands on the steering wheel? - Smart Motorist

Also I rather like the non-round "racing" steering wheel, and on a prius IV it is leather wrapped. I agree, though, that the hard plastic is cheap and ugly.