1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Haters Beware: Sanity is Prevailing

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SageBrush, Jul 20, 2011.

1. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Having marriage "validated" by an institution that transcends the individual is what gives it power, inculcates respect for it, gives the partners a ledge to stand on when the going gets steep. I very much decry the ease with which divorce can be obtained these days; it concedes too much to the temporary whim of the moment and dilutes the force of the union. I don't advocate barring divorce altogether, but it should require something more than just getting two signatures on a sheet of paper.

But in addition to mere "validation" are the specific terms: property sharing, familial privileges, etc. that a young hormone intoxicated couple would be unlikely to give due heed, so having an institution spell all that out beforehand and give it the force of law is vital. And the only institution that has the force of law is the government.

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Marriage was invented to protect property ownership, to ensure inheritance rights, and to cement political alliances.

For quite a long time in the middle ages, the "church" had nothing to do with marriage, until it decided that it was losing out on some serious revenue and control over people's lives.

The issue at state here in the USA over same-sex marriage isn't whether two people want to share their lives, it is who has legal right over property and inheritance issues. It is about IRS tax laws. It is about all the barriers that hetero couples do not realize exist for those that are not "married" in the eyes of the government.

Those barriers will not come down until same-sex couples can marry.

1 person likes this.
  3. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Depends. Which is it a Public Act, Record, or Judicial Proceedings?

[Though, of course, your right to bear arms cannot be infringed. See Amendment 2]

4. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Are you willing to give up your ability to divorce, in order to make it more difficult for others to divorce? That is what putting it in the hands of government does.

5. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    By 'force of law' you mean violence. I would rather not have any marriage I am involved in be subject to external violence.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is the point of marraige anyway? oh nevermind, i just read rae's post. wait til they find out about the marraige penalties. :(

2 people like this.
  7. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Why would anyone be consider 'sane' who wants to be identified with a group, via a title called "Marriage," wherein half the members of said group have successfully divorced themselves of that title through contentious legal means or murder or can't wait to be unidentified with said title and an even greater portion are unhappy while thusly titled? :loco:

I think Einstein, a divorcee of said title, had a definition for the phenomena of trying the same thing over and over again, expecting different results. :p

Oh gosh! Guys can get married now? Here's your sign. :rolleyes:

8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes, it would be against 14th amendment.