1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have Energy Savers tire but had to replace 1 with Michelin Defender

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by j0hnnnay, Aug 3, 2017.

1. j0hnnnay

j0hnnnay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is there anything wrong with replacing 1 tire that is different? I couldn't wait to replace it with the same tire because I am going on a road trip tonight. There is 50-60% tread left on the energy savers and the defender is brand new.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Tires should always be at least matched as pairs (Left/right should match. All 4 need to be matched in an AWD car to protect the transfer case.). There can be dangerous handling issues with mismatched tires.

JeffD

WilDavis likes this.
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bad to mix tyres (even same brand) on the same axle! I would recommend buying in pairs at the very least (but I'm not footing the bill!) I replaced my set of Michelin Energy Savers just over a year ago when I noticed micro-cracks starting to appear on the walls :eek:, and I learned that Michelins are great tyres, however their treads tend to outlast the rest of the tyre! :( FWIW - hope this helps - Wil

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. j0hnnnay

j0hnnnay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Alright, I guess I'll replace all the tires. Thanks for your replies

WilDavis and Raytheeagle like this.