1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have Gen 1 , Gen3 -need OBD2 bluetooth for android-which is best

Discussion in 'Prius OBDII Third-Party Apps' started by gittarpikk, Aug 11, 2018.

1. gittarpikk

gittarpikk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Have had a Gen 1 for about 2 and a half years...rebuilt battery several times, replaced ABS pump etc ...all with my trusty mini VCI and old win xp notebook....which ended up flooded out in the floorboard when the AC drain tube somehow got dislodged from the little grommet it plugs into in the passenger side floorboard...put about 2 inches of water in the front and rear floorboards ruining anything that was sitting there....

I now see lots of OBD2 scanners and various apps...Some scanners have numerous adapter cable options but most all items are less than $10.. I know the Min VCI was one of the favs of the readers over the years but the XP interface was really slow , sort of buggy and took forever to 'get out of bed'

so.... now I need to get a decent one that I can read and clear most all codes like I used to do with the mini VCI and notebook ...but needs to be bluetooth as I have the latest android phones, a decent Android tablet and a nice PC that all have Bluetooth.

Am beginning to get some alerts on the Gen 1 again, and have just bought wife a Gen 3 ...and hoping soon to sell the Gen 1 and get a Gen 2 or 3 to replace it so there are fewer modules and ability to get newer modules as well as a lighter pack to remove.

also want to be able to see live data of individual blocks in the main etc.

which OBD2 /bluetooth reader should I get with maybe a tip as to why.

2. PriusV17

PriusV17 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I use BAFX Products Bluetooth OBDII Reader from Amazon. 10k+ reviews at 4.5 average. Works well for me on ODB2 apps that can use bluetooth. I have 3 different WiFi versions and all require no password. At least this bluetooth one requires a password. A cheap one though.

3. gittarpikk

gittarpikk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    deleted dupe

#3 gittarpikk, Nov 2, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  4. gittarpikk

gittarpikk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I bought the
    Panlong OBD2 Scanner Bluetooth for iPhone iOS Android OBDII Car Diagnostic Scan Tool Engine Fault Code Reader
    on Amazon and bought the garagepro app on GP but it did not even recognize my subscription only letting me use free version so I just requested a refund from GP
    Ido need to know which app is best for reading gen 1 codes and being able to delete them (I understand that the ABS codes many times require a much more expensive app but would, if not too expensive , delete those also)

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    With a gen3 you want an XTool d8 to do the brake booster bleed after it fails along with bidirectional controls. Or Techstream.

Gen3 has lots of expensive problems you never had on a gen1. I would get a gen4 for the wife and you drive the gen3.

Here is a recent post on what I use and recommend
    OBD Meter Recommendations | PriusChat

#4 rjparker, Nov 2, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
  6. gittarpikk

gittarpikk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I

Actually have a gen 1 (with a dead inverter pump-but all else is fine) had best 3 yr battery from Green in Nashville installed)
    Gen3 2010 with bad abs accumulator , needs new brake pads, and some parts I bought installed
    just bought a 2009 gen2 with cat missing but started after sitting 2 years
    just bought 2011 gen 3 no keyfob with a little hail damage so have not scanned yet but looks good (pearl white paint)
    so, in the process of scanning and determining what I need to get the 2 new additions going.
    Wife totaled the black 2011 when she was first diagnosed with Alzheimer's. That was the last of her driving. I drive the gen 3 2010 and the Gen1 (favorite)

7. gittarpikk

gittarpikk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    update got car scanner (free version) on GP and it was quick to connect to the OBD2 plugin module, ran scan on Gen 1 , deleted codes appropriately ..(had a inverter coolant fault-which proves not seeing flow indicates bad pump) Also ran scan on Gen 2 . It had several codes I screenshot and was able to erase as well.