1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Have I Blown My Factory Warranty?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by BexarWolf, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BexarWolf @ Jun 26 2007, 02:58 AM) [snapback]468150[/snapback]</div>
    It's highly doubtful. One thing to consider is if you drive a lot in the city the engine shuts off about 50% of the time. Thus, 1/2 of 9,000 + 4,500 miles. I change my oli filter every 5K and I have Mobil 1 syn. oil in the engine and change it every 25K miles. Ive never had any problems with any of my cars mechanically. Just go in and have the oil & filter changed out.

2. dhoward

dhoward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Walker1 @ Jul 4 2007, 09:15 AM) [snapback]472852[/snapback]</div>

What is more critical? the 5000 miles or the 6 months. I am only driving roughly 6000 miles a year so I was going to wait until 5000 miles which works out to 10 months. Does this give the dealer an excuse to void the warranty somewhere down the line?

3. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    No, you have not voided your warranty.

If the oil low light (not the oil service interval light) came on and you continued to drive, then that could void your warranty.

In various legal and arbitration procedings, the phrase "reasonable care" is used. There are many reasons some drivers cannot change oil at exactly 5000.00 miles and this is recognized. Now to go 20,000 before an oil change and call that reasonable care might be stretching it.

You may get quizzed on why the oil service light that normally comes on at 4500 miles was reset, ignored, or not working.

One last note: When buying a new car, dealers may ask buyers to sign an "arbitration form" requiring using an arbitration board (instead of legal options) to resolve repair issues. You do not need to sign this, since you can always go the arbitration path later. Since it is thrown in with a bunch of other form that you do need to sign, you can be unaware that this is NOT required.

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL_Prius_Driver @ Jul 4 2007, 11:18 AM) [snapback]472982[/snapback]</div>
    Depending on the laws of the state where the car is delivered, the signed agreement to arbitrate is worth less than a bucket of warm spit.... California is one of the states that have a legal principle (which has withstood challenge up to the state Supreme Court) that basically says that contracts that bypass state regulatory structures are not enforceable. The best example is in regard to the Lemon Law in California. If you have a valid claim for a Lemon Law buy back, be sure to get legal representation (in California at least, the manufacturer has to eat the cost of your attorney); the manufacturer won't even bring up the agreement to arbitrate as that will further increase their costs (their cost includes your attorney, remember) with a certainty of an adverse outcome.